Links forum in new windows

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
keith10456

Re: Links forum in new windows

Post by keith10456 »

If the request is to have internal links open in a new window then -1. I don't thinks its necessary.

However, if the request is to make external links open in a new window, then +1... At the least, have a switch in the ACP?

VOLKERMORD

Post by VOLKERMORD »

keith10456 wrote:If the request is to have internal links open in a new window then -1. I don't thinks its necessary.

However, if the request is to make external links open in a new window, then +1... At the least, have a switch in the ACP?
yep me to

Frug

Post by Frug »

For external links, some forums send users to an intermediate page warning them that they're now leaving the site, giving them the option to continue or not. Something to consider.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Frug wrote:For external links, some forums send users to an intermediate page warning them that they're now leaving the site, giving them the option to continue or not. Something to consider.
Personally speaking, I hate that but I can see how others may consider it.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

I hate links opening in new windows. If I want I'll use the center button of the mouse to do it.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

VOLKERMORD wrote:
keith10456 wrote:If the request is to have internal links open in a new window then -1. I don't thinks its necessary.

yep me to
And me. I HATE it when I click an external link on a site and I then end up leaving the site I was (And wanted to) stay on.

For me:
Internal links = Same window/tab
External links = New window/tab

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Or people can learn to right click on the link to get the context menu or map your mouse buttons so that Middle Click opens in a new tab. ;) For example, there are many times (like browsing New Posts here) when I want internal links to open in new tabs.

And remember, this topic was not about general link behavior -- the OP specifically cited my KB article that opens Link forums in a new window, not all links.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Profo

Post by Profo »

Jacob wrote:I hate links opening in new windows. If I want I'll use the center button of the mouse to do it.
I agree, even for link-forums. Besides, current browsers have tabs too.
I think opening links in the same window is the "natural way" for links to work. This way, you always give the choice to your users, who can decide what to do: Open the link right away (click), or either use the appropriate shortcut (e.g. caps+click) or their browser settings to open it in a new tab or window.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Pony99CA wrote:Or people can learn to right click on the link to get the context menu or map your mouse buttons so that Middle Click opens in a new tab. ;) For example, there are many times (like browsing New Posts here) when I want internal links to open in new tabs.
I'm fine with all that too, but the average user these days may not be.

Hell, I've used the internet since around 1996, and even I didn't know about the 'Caps lock + Click' mentioned above. :oops:
Pony99CA wrote: And remember, this topic was not about general link behavior -- the OP specifically cited my KB article that opens Link forums in a new window, not all links.
Apologies, incorrectly assumed it was a 'Language barrier thing' (Links in forum/phpbb in new windows)

So back to - 'Links Forum Types' I'd go with the idea of once that type is selected then a simple switch to add a choice of 'Internal/external' so +1 to that.