Update process for extensions

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: Update process for extensions

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:I am mostly in agreement with MichaelC's proposal, but I am assuming, when we integrate the extensions admin with composer, that it will have a one click update process?
callumacrae wrote:What about extensions which include a large number of images or large files? If the only changes have been in PHP files, users shouldn't have to disable a chunk of their site while they upload the same files they just deleted.
Extensions could provide update packages that only include the changed/new files. This would not, however, handle deleting files that are no longer in use following the update.
It will [From the acp or cli]/does already[from CLI].

I'm +1 for disabling the board at the beginning of enabling (if there are un-applied migrations) or purging and re-enable it at the end. It shouldn't be long anyway.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Yes, that's right, we can just automatically disable/enable the board on the enable/purge step (if it has not already been disabled).

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

If we are going to be disabling the board automatically, we should provide a place for the admin to provide a disable explanation, like there is in the Board settings page. It could default to something like this:
"The board has been momentarily disabled while an extension is being installed/updated. Thank you for your patience and sorry for any inconvenience."
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

imkingdavid wrote:If we are going to be disabling the board automatically, we should provide a place for the admin to provide a disable explanation, like there is in the Board settings page. It could default to something like this:
"The board has been momentarily disabled while an extension is being installed/updated. Thank you for your patience and sorry for any inconvenience."
Having a reason is a good idea, but the explanation is probably too detailed for end users. I would replace "while an extension is being installed/updated" with "system maintenance is underway". The admin can change it to be more detailed if his audience is more sophisticatd (for example, on phpBB.com, your suggested wording would be great).

And, just to make we're all on the same page, the Admin should see a big red message box warning that the board will be disabled. The reason can also be on that page, but the board won't be disabled until he presses Next or Submit or whatever.

On a related note, it might be useful to show how many (non-bot) users were online on that page, too. This would allow the admin to gauge the impact of disabling the board without having to visit the Who Is Online page.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I agree with everything Steve just said. The online listing is a nice bonus feature.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

imkingdavid wrote: Any schema changes can lock up the affected tables resulting in data corruption and/or loss.
You might want to look into postgres and transactional ddl...

What you are describing is a dbms bug any way you look at it. A dbms is not supposed to "lock up" tables. It is supposed to lock them.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Online on what page? Maybe just show the stats for the number of guests, bots and registered users online if your going to do that.
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

i have a question:
updating extensions is like wordpress system? or admin must upload new files?

extensions will connect to phpbb.com for updating?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Not at the moment, no. Titania needs some modifying for that to happen.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

DavidIQ wrote:Not at the moment, no. Titania needs some modifying for that to happen.
Titania is already modified, it just needs the phpBB bit which I'm doing. But this won't be ready until 3.2