Change "0 new messages" display in header

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DocSommer

Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by DocSommer »

I think it's a bit oldschool and geeky displaying any literally "zero value" informations to end users - I don't know any other nowadays communication tech (smartphone etc.) that inform the cell owner about zero text messages with a permanent display (just an example). That's why I like to suggest to change the pm display to this behaviour:

Case A - new/unread messages in inbox:

Case B - NO new/unread messages in inbox:

Of course other ideas for the wording/whatever are welcome - as you can see I choosed to display a link to "Private messaging" for my board and only a notification in case there is a reason for. Another advantage is that it's harder to miss a new message by overlooking the count number (the visual change is way more more obvious if "private messaging" transforms to "x new messages"). All in all I got a positive feedback from my board users for this tiny but usability-effective change.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: Change "0 new messages" display in header

Post by callumacrae »

Phone is a bad example. My computer permanently tells me that I have zero emails and zero texts.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

DocSommer wrote:Another advantage is that it's harder to miss a new message by overlooking the count number (the visual change is way more more obvious if "private messaging" transforms to "x new messages"). All in all I got a positive feedback from my board users for this tiny but usability-effective change.
I agree.

DocSommer

Post by DocSommer »

callumacrae wrote:Phone is a bad example. My computer permanently tells me that I have zero emails and zero texts.
Mine (windows 7 os) doesn't - can't ever recall seeing a computer behaving this way tbh. Even within outlook I only see a "(x)" value notification next to a folder name if there a new/unread mails. Other leading social media services (e.g. facebook) treat it likewise.

Mess

Post by Mess »

Good idea. +1
Would install today if it was a mod. :)

DocSommer

Post by DocSommer »

it's rather some kind of a snippet^^ Since I did it on my board I can get you the code I've used (when I'm back at home) but since I'm not good with code it might not be the best/efficient attempt.

Frug

Post by Frug »

+1 to the possibility of having more control over how the theme treats messages. Currently iirc it's a {LANG} variable that distinguishes only between whether the word message(s) is plural? The ability to display a different element with a different class would be nice.

DocSommer

Post by DocSommer »

@ Mess:

Here's my current solution I'm using for my overall_header template (no changes in other files needed) :

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_DISPLAY_PM and (S_USER_NEW_PRIVMSG) --><a href="{U_PRIVATEMSGS}">{PRIVATE_MESSAGE_INFO}  &bull;</a><!-- ELSE --><a href="{U_PRIVATEMSGS}">{L_PRIVATE_MESSAGING}  &bull;</a><!-- ENDIF -->
you'll find the right spot a few lines after:

<li class="icon-ucp">
simply replace the entire line that starts with

<!-- IF S_DISPLAY_PM a......

tct

Post by tct »

+1
I'm Vietnamese so I'm not good in speaking English!!!

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

+1... But notifications in 3.1 should change this anyway.