Integrating automatic image resizing

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: Integrating automatic image resizing

Post by callumacrae »

stopPropagation() doesn't stop the link from being followed.

Using CSS animations seems a bit pointless. Sure, it might use a teensy bit less CPU, but it doesn't work on all browsers.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

callumacrae wrote:stopPropagation() doesn't stop the link from being followed.
ok.
callumacrae wrote:Using CSS animations seems a bit pointless. Sure, it might use a teensy bit less CPU, but it doesn't work on all browsers.
Not a teensy in my PC... I think 10% difference, or so.
Personally I don't care about older browsers when what's in cause is just something to make it look more "beautiful transaction between 2 states". I don't know what's the way of working in phpBB for that, though.
That comes with more concerns we need to decide if we are going to solve or not.
  1. If the image is larger than the screen size. How should it be done?
  2. If the image would fit the screen if it was aligned to the left side of the screen, should it adjust that or just not care?
  3. What's the size used to show when showing in the zoomed size? The max between the screen size and the image? Just the image size?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

brunoais wrote: [*]If the image is larger than the screen size. How should it be done?
Horizontal scrolling? If the user is expanding an image, they should expect it to get bigger.
brunoais wrote: [*]If the image would fit the screen if it was aligned to the left side of the screen, should it adjust that or just not care?
[*]What's the size used to show when showing in the zoomed size? The max between the screen size and the image? Just the image size?[/list]
I have no idea what you mean by these two
My blog

MaFeSa

Post by MaFeSa »

callumacrae wrote:
brunoais wrote: [*]If the image is larger than the screen size. How should it be done?
Horizontal scrolling? If the user is expanding an image, they should expect it to get bigger.
Please no, I hate horizontal scrolling similar smf style :)

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

MaFeSa wrote:
callumacrae wrote:
Please no, I hate horizontal scrolling similar smf style :)
How do you suggest this be done, then? Force the user to open the image in a new tab? That would involve horizontal scrolling, too.

Please think your comment through in the context of the topic.
My blog

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

How about this:
First, expand to, at maximum, the width of the user's screen.
Second, if the width of the image is still larger, provide a link to the full image (original size) in a new tab.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I like EXreaction's idea.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

EXreaction wrote:How about this:
Second, if the width of the image is still larger, provide a link to the full image (original size) in a new tab.
Why in a new tab? Why not just give the user the option to expand it in the current tab? It's exactly the same behaviour, but opening it in a new tab seems like horrible behaviour to me.
My blog

tct

Post by tct »

+1
I'm Vietnamese so I'm not good in speaking English!!!

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

callumacrae wrote:
EXreaction wrote:How about this:
Why in a new tab? Why not just give the user the option to expand it in the current tab? It's exactly the same behaviour, but opening it in a new tab seems like horrible behaviour to me.
Opening in the current tab is probably the most proper behavior, that gives the user the option to open in a new tab or current if they want.