[RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Christian 2.0

[RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by Christian 2.0 »

Issue: Microsoft has announced the EoL for Windows Live Messenger from all countries (except China) by March 2013. It wouldn't be sensible to continue releasing phpBB with the MSNM profile field when the service has been deactived and replaced with Skype. Joas also pointed out that other profile fields facilitated by phpBB (ICQ, AOL, Yahoo & Jabber) are not widely enough used (if at all) to justify inclusion.

Solution: To simply remove all existing 'social' profile fields from phpBB and replace with modern alternatives: Facebook, Twitter and Skype.

Ticket: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-11201

Arty
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by Arty »

That's a very good idea.

igorw

Post by igorw »

+1

Removing WLM is a no-brainer. This should be done ASAP.

Deciding which ones to add is a bit more difficult. Facebook does not make much sense in most cases imo. Twitter on the other hand, +1.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

While this solution is simple, I do not like it. I would prefer having all of those fields removed and replaced with custom profile fields. This however might require making the custom profile field framework a bit more powerful.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

bantu wrote:While this solution is simple, I do not like it. I would prefer having all of those fields removed and replaced with custom profile fields. This however might require making the custom profile field framework a bit more powerful.
And as this may take quite some time, I wouldn't mind having a "Delete msn" now and a "add other stuff" later. because shipping a field that is invalid is worse
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Imo, they should all be removed.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Christian 2.0

Post by Christian 2.0 »

bantu wrote:I would prefer having all of those fields removed and replaced with custom profile fields. This however might require making the custom profile field framework a bit more powerful.
In response to Igor's post, I was going to suggest something similar. Many of my clients ask for Pinterest integration, although my opinion is that this would be widely left alone across many phpBB boards so custom profile fields definitely seems like the way forwards.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Christian 2.0 wrote:
bantu wrote:I would prefer having all of those fields removed and replaced with custom profile fields. This however might require making the custom profile field framework a bit more powerful.
In response to Igor's post, I was going to suggest something similar. Many of my clients ask for Pinterest integration, although my opinion is that this would be widely left alone across many phpBB boards so custom profile fields definitely seems like the way forwards.
I just noticed there already is an RFC for changing built-in profile fields to custom profile fields: https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 08&t=33864

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

+1 to this RFC. But we should brainstorm about what to delete and what to add, as it is not clear enough in the ticket.

wGEric

Post by wGEric »

igorw wrote:Facebook does not make much sense in most cases imo.
Why?
Eric