Add new permission for changing profile field information

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Add new permission for changing profile field information

Post by nickvergessen »

Ticket: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10679
PR: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/607
Would be nice to have that permission and not give it to newly registrated, so the unapproved spamers can not put links and bad content into their profile fields.
I think we should also not grant this to newly registered users by default, just like we do it with u_sig (so I would copy u_sig to the new permission).
However this is a behaviour change as currently every (spamer) can change the fields without any permissions.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Oleg

Re: Add new permission for changing profile field information

Post by Oleg »

(18:11:47) nx-: and again, my concern was with custom fields
(18:11:58) nx-: my impression is admins can add fields to be filled out during registration
(18:12:23) nx-: this permission makes it impossible for users to edit said fields once they register before they are placed out of newly registered group which could take days
(18:12:37) nx-: or even longer
(18:12:46) nx-: could take forever if their post is never approved
(18:13:02) nx-: now they are stuck with information they entered that they can't change

I support adding permission configured by default in such a way that no additional restrictions are imposed on anyone by default.

The entire log: https://gist.github.com/ce1d905abde09cbed14d

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Maybe the permission should only apply to CPFs that aren't on the registration page. That should be an easy check. (You'll still run into a problem if the CPF was on the registration page and then taken off of it, but you probably wouldn't want new users editing those any longer anyway.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Pony99CA wrote:Maybe the permission should only apply to CPFs that aren't on the registration page. That should be an easy check. (You'll still run into a problem if the CPF was on the registration page and then taken off of it, but you probably wouldn't want new users editing those any longer anyway.)

Steve
Such an arrangement appears to satisfy my requirement.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Well there are different settings to display CPF in the registration and in the user control panel.

So this would only apply to CPF that are displayed on both pages right, but then I think the permission looses its sense, if users can edit the fields, although they dont have permissions to.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I think we should have a permission for can/cannot edit profile fields.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Honestly, I really think we already have too many permissions for all kind of things, iam not sure if adding more is a good idea.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Well what we could also do is to grant the permission by default, so nothing changes in first place, only if you change the permission and then I would not display fields anywhere (only if required on registration)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

nickvergessen wrote:Well there are different settings to display CPF in the registration and in the user control panel.
Actually, I think that they can also be displayed in the "mini-profile" in viewtopic and in the Member List (if the style allows it).
nickvergessen wrote:So this would only apply to CPF that are displayed on both pages right, but then I think the permission looses its sense, if users can edit the fields, although they dont have permissions to.
I'm not understanding your point. The permission would apply to all profile fields (or maybe CPFs) not displayed (or maybe not required) on the registration page.

The difference between profile fields and CPFs is that we might not want new users to edit some of the default profile fields (Web site and IM fields, for example) until they are approved. Obviously, if somebody changed their code to display the default profile fields on the registration page, they'd also have to update the code the applied permissions to those.

If all profile fields were treated as CPFs (to some degree), this would be easier. See the Built-in profile fields to custom profile fields RFC for more information.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Pony99CA wrote:
nickvergessen wrote:Well there are different settings to display CPF in the registration and in the user control panel.
Actually, I think that they can also be displayed in the "mini-profile" in viewtopic and in the Member List (if the style allows it).
This topic is only about changing the values, so viewtopic and memberlist do not matter here...