[RFC|Merged] notification box

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
EXreaction

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by EXreaction »

Ah, I see. That works much better. Now I have one problem left, this query is ignoring the notify = 0 for user 2 (same data as earlier)

Code: Select all

SELECT u.user_id, un.item_type, un.method, un.notify
   FROM test u 
   LEFT JOIN test2 un ON (un.user_id = u.user_id OR un.user_id IS NULL)
      AND (un.item_type = 1 OR un.item_type IS NULL)
      AND (un.notify = 1 OR un.notify IS NULL)
localhost   localhost   phpbb_fork_9 2   test   phpMyAdmin 3.5.1.png
localhost localhost phpbb_fork_9 2 test phpMyAdmin 3.5.1.png (6 KiB) Viewed 10143 times
EDIT: Figured it out!

SELECT u.user_id, un.item_type, un.method, un.notify
   FROM test u 
   LEFT JOIN test2 un ON (un.user_id = u.user_id OR un.user_id IS NULL)
      AND (un.item_type = 1 OR un.item_type IS NULL)
   WHERE (un.notify = 1 OR un.notify IS NULL)

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Instead of that query we've decided to do something simpler without any joining and do the work PHP side rather than through the database.

With that now, I believe everything is completed. Any final suggestions should be given now so I might include them before this gets merged.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

Same issue still apply from previous testing.
3 Users : Admin, GModerator and User.
User (registered users) forum permissions changed from default to require topic/post approval. User registration settings of New member post limit set to 0.
Admin removes default notification for pm's.
User posts a new topic.
User posts a new reply.
GModerator logs in and approves both notifications (topic and post by User).
GModerator sends Admin a pm.
Admin logs in and there are 2 new notifications to approve a topic and a post from User. This is a bug as the GModerator has already approved them. Admin is now stuck with 2 notifications with no way to remove them.
Admin has no message system to alert Admin to a new pm. The only way to see the message system as in (1 new message, x unread messages) is to set Display Notifications to NO under Load settings.

Tested on linux and xampp using similar php (5.4) and mysql (5.5) versions.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Can someone else test that as well? I have not been able to reproduce that issue.

As long as the admin does not uncheck the option to receive notifications about PMs, they will be notified when they receive one.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

Tested on 5 different platforms : win 7, 8, debian mint, ubuntu and live fedora server. All do the same errors.
Another one for ya.
Select a post to approve in notification. Don't approve it but rather go back to the index. You now have 0 Notifications showing but it is still there to approve in the notification list. Because it is read, should it not still show as 1 Notification because it has not been dealt with?
EXreaction wrote:As long as the admin does not uncheck the option to receive notifications about PMs, they will be notified when they receive one.
So why are you able to adjust the notification to not be notified and yet have a message system that is not designed to advise you of having new pm's?

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

No, if they are marked read they are not counted as a notification.

People should be able to choose to receive notifications about private messages or not, if they do not want to receive them or read them then they can choose to not be notified.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

Allow users to send you private messages:
Note that administrators and moderators will always be able to send you messages.
Perhaps this setting should be changed to reflect that or does this apply only when Display Notifications is set to NO? If so something should change.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

The ability to send private messages has nothing to do with receiving notifications about them.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

So you can allow users to pm you but not be notified like it was. Whatever the logic is behind that, I'm done for now.

Nice job by the way.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

I still think the styling could be cooler. I tweaked this example. I've just done some basic CSS tweaking and I can help you make it look something more like this:
notifications_again.png
notifications_again.png (43.79 KiB) Viewed 9688 times
Thoughts?
Last edited by MattF on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Has an irascible disposition.