Dependency Management: Composer

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
RMcGirr83

Re: Dependency Management: Composer

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Untitled.png
(49.68 KiB) Downloaded 3491 times
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

That site seems like it's been having issues lately, I've noticed that in travis builds a few times.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Well there ya go. Someone let me know when that site is back and I may try this again otherwise y'all have fun with 3.1.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

If it doesn't work check if packagist.org is working and try again in a couple of minutes
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Uhmmm, no. I don't have time for that garbage.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I believe it only affects /vendor, correct? Someone could make a zip file for you of that (I would, but I'm not on a system with git or anything installed right now and won't be till tomorrow afternoon).

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Just an FYI the json file is still down and I really have to question the decision to require the use of something that is, as of now, completely unusable. Guess I'll just bide my time and wait for 3.1 to be released so I don't have to deal with this nonsense. Being in healthcare, I jump through enough hoops as is. Last thing I want to do is add more hoops to jump through especially for something that is supposed to be "fun" for me.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I'm sorry that you're having trouble getting that to work; I know I would be frustrated as well. I'm not sure why it isn't loading for you; I have recently (including about 2 minutes ago) used the composer install/self-update/update, etc. commands without issue to generate the vendor folder I need for my various development branches. You are having problems using the "php ../composer.phar install" command from the "phpbb3/phpBB" directory, as pictured in the screenshot above, correct?

I would hate for this to turn away you and others from contributing to development, so as a temporary alternative, I have zipped up the vendor folder required by the latest version of the "develop" branch. https://www.box.com/phpbb3vendors10-22-12 All you need to do, as I understand it, is unzip that and place the vendor folder in the root phpBB directory. This should not change until a patch is merged into develop that alters the composer.json file.

Hopefully the composer issue will sort itself out for you so this doesn't continue to be a problem. Maybe we can figure out an alternative that works better if you cannot get it to work for you (e.g. nightly builds that include the vendor folder, etc.). However, composer is currently the best package manager I am aware of to provide the 3rd-party vendors we are using; otherwise, we have to manually include them and update them in the repository, which would be an added pain.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Thanks David that worked.

I had sent an email to the author of composer Jordi Boggiano who was very helpful. Believe it has something to do with not having OpenSSL active.

This seems easier than trying to figure out how to get OpenSSL working within a windows (meh, not all of us are *nixers) cmd prompt, so thanks again.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 17#p246817 - why does that happen?

What is the purpose again of bundling composer if it refuses to work?