[RFC|Merged] notification box

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
EXreaction

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by EXreaction »

No, I mean that the method to notify users is abstracted for this notifications system, so in each method you have to set up the calls to send alerts or notifications to users. A more flexible system to send out notifications in phpBB itself would make it easier, but that is a separate item to be tackled.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I've gotten a good bit of work done on it today, mainly backend related to get the tests working though, so not too much to actually see.
oddfish wrote:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
Table '31_noti.phpbb_notifications' doesn't exist [1146]
SQL
SELECT COUNT(*) AS count FROM phpbb_notifications WHERE user_id = 2 AND unread = 1 in /public_html/noti/includes/db/dbal.php on line 809
This is fixed.
oddfish wrote:Submit selection/s in UCP -> Overview .. Notification options shows no confirmation.
As for this, I personally hate confirmation messages when they are unnecessary. I'd prefer to add a message that shows up on the page after submitting that their preferences were updated, but this is not how phpBB works anywhere else. Are there any opinions on this?
oddfish wrote:Reset does nothing.
Seems to work for me. This is something browsers handle themselves, so if it doesn't work, there may be an issue with your browser.
oddfish wrote:Selecting Someone replies to a topic you are subscribed to and Someone creates a topic in a forum you are subscribed to does not notify user of a reply.
Are you subscribed to the topic?

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

EXreaction wrote:
oddfish wrote:Submit selection/s in UCP -> Overview .. Notification options shows no confirmation.
As for this, I personally hate confirmation messages when they are unnecessary. I'd prefer to add a message that shows up on the page after submitting that their preferences were updated, but this is not how phpBB works anywhere else. Are there any opinions on this?
What about the flash message RFC?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

If it was already merged, then I would say yes.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

Issue with editing a post :

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to a member function add_notifications_for_users() on a non-object in ../public_html/noti/includes/notification/type/quote.php on line 171
Reset is good.
Install is good.
Selecting the previous options in UCP is good.
Will check on notification order when error is sorted.
Original testing and current on Chrome and FF (Debian), FF nightly and IE10 (win8).
Preference for Submit has always been Submit changes to Submitted and non functional till selection is changed but for phpBB3.1? .. anything to give the user a confirmation that "da button done good".

EDIT: NOTIFICATION TYPE .. should it matter that the order is different between platform installs?
notification_type.png
(26.99 KiB) Downloaded 2499 times

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Error has been fixed.

For now, I am just going with the current standard of using trigger_error with a meta refresh. As much as I hate it, inconsistency would be worse.

As for the order issue, I am not sure why that happens, but I would like to at least group them later into categories.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

Changing From Overview to Board Preferences - template should change to fit with display options, posting defaults etc?
Notifications still changing when editing a post.
To refresh:
  • As Admin, subscribe to User1 (global moderator) topic.
  • User2 (reg user) replies to User1 topic.
  • As Admin, check notification.
  • Edit User2 reply.
  • Check notification.
A new notification shows as a new reply to the subscribed topic (marked as read) with the current board time.
The original notification (the new topic) also changes to the current board time which correctly changes the order of notifications, as sorted by date, when more than 2 notifications.
The edited post's new notification appears under the original notification.
Editing User1 reply to User2 topic results in the same scenario.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

That should be fixed now

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I've added some new notification types:

Reported pm/posts notification (for moderators)
Report closed notification

Also I will be adding a bumped topics notification type later.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I think I've also completed the notification grouping part. So any consecutive replies to a topic will not generate new notification alerts if you have not read the topic yet.

If anyone is able to test more of this that would be fantastic. All I really have left is some UCP stuff, a little bit of work on the template output, and then porting to subsilver2.