Dependency Management: Composer

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: Dependency Management: Composer

Post by callumacrae »

Yup. SSH and follow the instructions from the composer website (and the README.md)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

**edit ..

Thought I had an issue with composer (fabpot/goutte 1.0.x-dev didn't play nice) but changing $dbms = 'mysql'; to $dbms = 'mysqli'; fixed an issue with updating and a fresh install, which goes without saying really. :oops:

blueray2048

Post by blueray2048 »

While the composer is a great tool to add to.
It's sometimes require git to be installed for some dependency to work.
I just experience the phpdocumentor 2.0.x which might requires me to add one on windows.

However, I can't see git have a good support yet on windows platform.
I'am not used it before. If I'am wrong, please let me know.
Thanks

igorw

Post by igorw »

It requires git for dependencies that are unstable. Currently phpBB has no unstable dependencies. Either way, git has become more mature on windows, I don't believe it is an issue at this point (maybe some of the windows dev team members can give their thoughts on this).

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

igorw wrote:Either way, git has become more mature on windows, I don't believe it is an issue at this point (maybe some of the windows dev team members can give their thoughts on this).
SmartGit works perfect and the Windows tool now provided by Github is decent as well. I don't think either of these is needed in this case however since I would assume clicking on the download button in Github would suffice.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

igorw wrote:...(maybe some of the windows dev team members can give their thoughts on this).
I use git-scm (as recommended on github) and it works perfect. It can automatically convert line endings, so there is no problem in using git on Windows. However the truth is, that I have never used more than 5-8 basic git methods (pull, push, merge, rebase, log, add, commit, ...).

blueray2048

Post by blueray2048 »

igorw wrote:Either way, git has become more mature on windows, I don't believe it is an issue at this point (maybe some of the windows dev team members can give their thoughts on this).
It is true that git's support on windows was much better than years before. And there are a few GUI front ends available for selection. (And I just one for testing)
I have been monitoring it for years. The tool on windows platform do released preview or beta for the most of time.
Lost data or the similar things might be happened on using these preview releases. But this is another story.

diywebdev

Post by diywebdev »

For Setting up Composer in Windows, you can check out here, there is an installer for it, very easy and save so much time ;)

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

I wonder if anyone could possibly make this just a wee bit more of a pain in the arse/time consuming. I'm trying to "get involved" but after 2 hours of this composer nonsense I give up. I guess the K.I.S.S. theory took a back seat.
Untitled.png
(54.69 KiB) Downloaded 3677 times
So much for me contributing patches. :roll:

It's no wonder that more people don't get involved.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Did you try to run the update command like it says?