[RFC|Merged] notification box

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
EXreaction

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by EXreaction »

Anything can add new notification types. Right now it's just a matter of dropping a file in the includes/notifications/types/ directory. After more important stuff is finished, I'd like to figure out how to allow extensions to keep the notification files in their own ext directory and load them.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

EXreaction wrote:Anything can add new notification types. Right now it's just a matter of dropping a file in the includes/notifications/types/ directory. After more important stuff is finished, I'd like to figure out how to allow extensions to keep the notification files in their own ext directory and load them.
See https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/995/files#diff-12 as an example on how <extpath>/config/routing.yml files are included for the controller.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
EXreaction wrote:Anything can add new notification types. Right now it's just a matter of dropping a file in the includes/notifications/types/ directory. After more important stuff is finished, I'd like to figure out how to allow extensions to keep the notification files in their own ext directory and load them.
See https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/995/files#diff-12 as an example on how <extpath>/config/routing.yml files are included for the controller.
Yes, you can use the phpbb_extension_finder object to locate files that follow a consistent location and/or naming convention within extensions. The example Michael linked to is probably not the best because I added some extra stuff to it, such as the dirname call to get the directory names for each of the files it loaded, rather than the file paths themselves (due to the inner workings of Symfony). But I guess it should give you the basic idea.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

oddfish wrote:
EXreaction wrote:Did you try the latest code from this morning? That username color issue should have been fixed.
Yes, latest from this morning - grabbed all changes again and compared and yeah, latest.
I would not expect the content of the notification to change when editing another user's post which had nothing to do with the initial notification. Perhaps the issue is in that.
As Admin, I subscribed to a forum ...
  • Create a new topic as a second user.
  • Reply as a third user
  • As Admin, edit the first post by second user
Ends up changing the username colour to default notification font colour.
  • Edit the 2nd post by the third user
That is where the username, subject and time change in the notification with no username colour either.
Hope that helps.
EXreaction wrote:You get an error that post_subject is not defined?
Sorry, should have posted the full error.

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/notifications/type/post.php on line 216: Undefined index: post_subject
x3 of that line when editing, x1 when posting.
This all should be fixed now.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Regarding styling... Have you seen how Ebay does it with their Notifications in their menubar? You just hover the mouse and it appears in a drop-down. Something like that would be nice, as long as it is properly themed to look like part of Prosilver.
notifications.jpg
notifications.jpg (24.4 KiB) Viewed 16847 times
Has an irascible disposition.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

EXreaction wrote:
oddfish wrote: ...
This all should be fixed now.
Yes.

A thought; when a post is edited, the order of notifications change. How do you know if the change in order reflects a new reply or an edited post? In this case,
editing shows the current notification : ... replied to the topic "Swimmingly effective" you have bookmarked ...
Perhaps when edited : ... edited their reply to the topic "Swimmingly effective" you have bookmarked ...
I know the post number is shown when hovering and that the number of notifications does not change (and that is great for the memorists gifted)
but this is "Notification" and in my opinion the detail should do any guess work.

.. quoted it an edit?
/type/quote.php Line 159 // If the user has read the topic/post already, and the user is newly quoted it an edit,
cheers,
oddfish.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I'm working on the UCP and here is what it looks like now, any input would be appreciated.

Ignore the ones in caps.
Attachments
1 yourdomain.com User Control Panel UCP_NOTIFICATIONS.png
(84.37 KiB) Downloaded 2291 times

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

VSE+ wrote:Regarding styling... Have you seen how Ebay does it with their Notifications in their menubar? You just hover the mouse and it appears in a drop-down. Something like that would be nice, as long as it is properly themed to look like part of Prosilver.
notifications.jpg
I'm not sure I like the idea of using hover to automatically display it, at least not in the position it is in with prosilver.
oddfish wrote:A thought; when a post is edited, the order of notifications change. How do you know if the change in order reflects a new reply or an edited post? In this case,
editing shows the current notification : ... replied to the topic "Swimmingly effective" you have bookmarked ...
Perhaps when edited : ... edited their reply to the topic "Swimmingly effective" you have bookmarked ....
The order changes? In the future, someone should not be notified multiple times by one thing (e.g. someone replies and quotes you). I've not gotten to this functionality yet.

It couldn't say "edited their reply" because that would be an entirely different type of notification.
oddfish wrote:I know the post number is shown when hovering and that the number of notifications does not change (and that is great for the memorists gifted)
but this is "Notification" and in my opinion the detail should do any guess work.
I'm not sure what you mean?
oddfish wrote:.. quoted it an edit?
/type/quote.php Line 159 // If the user has read the topic/post already, and the user is newly quoted it an edit,
It's a comment I've placed so I remember to look into that some more in the future. The comment is longer, but it's basically about the complexity of notifications when a user edits a post and adds/removes quotes of different users (mainly the read status of the notification).

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

A couple of things.
Add {L_TITLE} and {L_NOTIFICATIONS_EXPLAIN} into ucp_notifications.html.
Singular [ 1 Notification ] done as per (1 new message).

My previous thoughts. Only tested as Admin :
  • Subscribe to forum as Admin.
  • User1 posts a new topic.
  • User2 posts a new topic.
Subscribe to both topics as Admin.
  • User1 replies to User2 topic.
  • User2 replies to User1 topic.
Check Notifications as Admin then
  • Edit User2 reply to User1 topic as Admin.
Check Notifications again.

Line 159 in quote.php says ..and the user is newly quoted it an edit... Should it not read ..and the user is newly quoted in an edit..?

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

EXreaction wrote:
VSE+ wrote:Regarding styling... Have you seen how Ebay does it with their Notifications in their menubar? You just hover the mouse and it appears in a drop-down. Something like that would be nice, as long as it is properly themed to look like part of Prosilver.
notifications.jpg
I agree. This can be a problem if you're browsing it from a touch screen.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D