[RFC|Merged] notification box

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
EXreaction

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by EXreaction »

I redesigned the output a bit to fit better with prosilver. Still needs some work (mark unread should be an icon and use AJAX).

I also believe I've fixed those issues.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Thanks for working on this... I'm certain the community will love it :D

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

how about notification of a request to join a group? (https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... er_needed/)

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

The issue of defined group colour goes a little deeper. This shows a notification when a new topic was posted in a forum resulting from subscribing to that forum.
Editing a post (as admin) within that subscribed topic? .. magic. Notice here the username changed (top entry along with lost group colour) and with it, subject and time. Admin post edited (own post), does not lose the group colour with the changes.
On that, the post_subject is undefined in type/post.php when posting or editing (l216).

p.s. I think • does separate the look consistently (although personal opinion can blur concepts) Image

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

oddfish wrote:The issue of defined group colour goes a little deeper. This shows a notification when a new topic was posted in a forum resulting from subscribing to that forum.
Editing a post (as admin) within that subscribed topic? .. magic. Notice here the username changed (top entry along with lost group colour) and with it, subject and time. Admin post edited (own post), does not lose the group colour with the changes.
On that, the post_subject is undefined in type/post.php when posting or editing (l216).

p.s. I think • does separate the look consistently (although personal opinion can blur concepts) Image
Did you try the latest code from this morning? That username color issue should have been fixed.

You get an error that post_subject is not defined?
Jessica. wrote:how about notification of a request to join a group? (https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... er_needed/)
What happens currently when a user requests to join a group? Is the group leader notified or how does it work?

Avdon

Post by Avdon »

Jessica. wrote:how about notification of a request to join a group? (https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... er_needed/)
+1
Also I think a notification of an event : you have joined/left group , would be very useful.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Avdon wrote:
+1
Also I think a notification of an event : you have joined/left group , would be very useful.
I don't think that you need to be notified when you join or leave a group; you should probably be notified when you are added to or deleted from a group by somebody else.

In addition, would it be useful to notify other group members when somebody is added or removed? (Obviously not for most of the pre-defined groups, although Admins and Global Moderators might be an exception.)

However, these might be new features that require their own RFC. I presume this RFC is just for handling existing notifications, not designing new ones (although notifying Moderators of posts in the queue might be new).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

EXreaction wrote:Did you try the latest code from this morning? That username color issue should have been fixed.
Yes, latest from this morning - grabbed all changes again and compared and yeah, latest.
I would not expect the content of the notification to change when editing another user's post which had nothing to do with the initial notification. Perhaps the issue is in that.
As Admin, I subscribed to a forum ...
  • Create a new topic as a second user.
  • Reply as a third user
  • As Admin, edit the first post by second user
Ends up changing the username colour to default notification font colour.
  • Edit the 2nd post by the third user
That is where the username, subject and time change in the notification with no username colour either.
Hope that helps.
EXreaction wrote:You get an error that post_subject is not defined?
Sorry, should have posted the full error.

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/notifications/type/post.php on line 216: Undefined index: post_subject
x3 of that line when editing, x1 when posting.

Avdon

Post by Avdon »

Pony99CA wrote:
Avdon wrote:
+1
I don't think that you need to be notified when you join or leave a group; you should probably be notified when you are added to or deleted from a group by somebody else.
Excuse my English, I didn't pay attention to these linguistic differences. Actually when I said "you have joined/left group" I was thinking about the case of " you are added to or deleted from a group" as a the main goal.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Pony99CA wrote:However, these might be new features that require their own RFC. I presume this RFC is just for handling existing notifications, not designing new ones (although notifying Moderators of posts in the queue might be new).
As long as extensions are able to add new notification types, we do not need to focus necessarily on putting all possible types in this RFC; what should be focused on here is simply the framework. We can of course discuss more notification types in the future.

If I have the time today, I will have another look at this since it seems to be coming along fairly quickly.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.