[RFC|Merged] notification box

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
EXreaction

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by EXreaction »

Exactly what Senky said. It needs some javascript helper that allows you to select the username and insert it into the post, along with some sort of bbcode that can be matched with any containing data.

Two examples that would be fairly difficult and could cause issues with just @:
@a new user
@bl@h

If it uses something like [tag]a new user[/tag] then it's easy, but that requires custom bbcode, which is outside the scope of this.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Yeah, but that looks horrific. @bl@h is fine, it's just usernames with spaces that would cause a problem, and there aren't many of them (it also causes problems on websites such as Stack Overflow, and they're dealing with it fine).

Can I suggest that we take this to the actual RFC? :-D
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

EXreaction wrote:If it uses something like [tag]a new user[/tag] then it's easy, but that requires custom bbcode, which is outside the scope of this.
Or you add a new pre-defined BBCode for this. ;) Then you could make clicking user names in the topic history display a menu to either view the person's profile or tag the user.

But that's probably outside the scope of this RFC as you said.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I also hope that this would be used to notify moderators that they had posts awaiting approval. (Wasn't there an RFC for that?) You may not want them getting subscription notifications, but in-board notifications would be great.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Yes, that is planned.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

It's at a state where it can start being tested more. See the opening post for the PR to see what's in it and what's left to do.
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/992

All the notification types that have been requested (besides username tagging) have been included so far.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

Suggestions on "Prettify"
  1. Remove extended hover colour and line including the brackets on the [ Notifications ] in overall_header.html by removing [] around language string, adding them to overall_header.html [&nbsp;<a href="#" title="{L_NOTIFICATIONS}" onClick="$('#notification_list').toggle();">{L_NOTIFICATIONS}</a>&nbsp;]. This will then give you [ Notifications ]. Might require &bull; to separate UCP and (..Messages).
  2. Grey background in notification needs a bertification somewhat (much prefer a changed font colour) - will see what ajax will do.
  3. Add the unread_count to the string, i.e. [ 3 Notifications ]. This might not be such a good idea considering messages has a count so probably too much for the loaction.

Nice work.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

+1 for oddfish.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

A few quirks ..
  • Separation needed between notifications (eg, horizontal line or bg2 bg1 but not sure what ajax will do).
  • Notifications for bookmarked topics show time of Thu Jan 1st, 1970, 12:00pm - this changes to the correct board time when edited (i.e. a post). PM notifications show correctly.
  • If a post is edited, the username loses its group colour assigned in the notification.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Thanks for all the hard work testing it, I will look into those issues.