[RFC|Merged] Extension Admin

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC|Merged] Extension Admin

Post by imkingdavid »

Hmm, looking at it, the install instructions are wrong. Instead of putting it in ./ext/naderman/example/ you should try putting it in ./ext/example/ and see if using ?ext=example works now.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC|Merged] Extension Admin

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:Hmm, looking at it, the install instructions are wrong. Instead of putting it in ./ext/naderman/example/ you should try putting it in ./ext/example/ and see if using ?ext=example works now.
No, that change was on purpose. All extensions should be in ext/<vendor>/<extname>/.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC|Merged] Extension Admin

Post by imkingdavid »

Well the change wasn't complete. https://github.com/naderman/phpbb3-exam ... roller.php The class is still phpbb_ext_example_controller when it should be phpbb_ext_naderman_example_controller. Either change that or change the installation directions.

EDIT: And it looks like most of the classes need to be changed.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC|Merged] Extension Admin

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:Well the change wasn't complete. https://github.com/naderman/phpbb3-exam ... roller.php The class is still phpbb_ext_example_controller when it should be phpbb_ext_naderman_example_controller. Either change that or change the installation directions.

EDIT: And it looks like most of the classes need to be changed.
Ah my mistake, I assumed it had already been done elsewhere.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
User avatar
oddfish
Registered User
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:53 am
Location: on my way home
Contact:

Re: [RFC|Merged] Extension Admin

Post by oddfish »

Is this an issue with mysql dbms?
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC|Merged] Extension Admin

Post by MichaelC »

oddfish wrote:Is this an issue with mysql dbms?
Is what an issue?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
User avatar
oddfish
Registered User
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:53 am
Location: on my way home
Contact:

Re: [RFC|Merged] Extension Admin

Post by oddfish »

never mind, wrong RFC.
User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Extension Admin

Post by Pony99CA »

Does the UI still look like those screen captures? If so, I would like to suggest having Activate, Deactivate, Purge and/or Delete buttons (as appropriate) on the details page. If I'm looking at an extension in the list view, I may not have enough information to decide what I want to do, so I'll look at the details page. If I can't take action there, I have to waste time going back to the lists.

Also, I'm not completely familiar with how extensions work under the covers, so forgive me if I'm way off base here, but are there scenarios where you might have one extension whose execution is dependent on another's? If so, how is that order enforced? If there's no dependency item in the manifest, should there be up/down buttons in the Extensions Manager to control their order of execution?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
User avatar
oddfish
Registered User
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:53 am
Location: on my way home
Contact:

Re: [RFC|Merged] Extension Admin

Post by oddfish »

This is probably more up to date with what is happening
details.gif
(32.03 KiB) Downloaded 1736 times
I don't think anything else is needed in the detail page as it is for detail and not for purging or enabling.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] Extension Admin

Post by imkingdavid »

Pony99CA wrote:Also, I'm not completely familiar with how extensions work under the covers, so forgive me if I'm way off base here, but are there scenarios where you might have one extension whose execution is dependent on another's? If so, how is that order enforced? If there's no dependency item in the manifest, should there be up/down buttons in the Extensions Manager to control their order of execution?
As far as I know, allowing extensions to specify dependencies was decided against (though I think it would have been a good idea). A sort of hackish way to do this is to check in your extension code for a table or event or something unique about the extension you depend on. If it doesn't find that, then your extension should just not run regardless of being enabled.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
Post Reply