[RFC]ACP Advanced/Basic

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

[RFC]ACP Advanced/Basic

Post by MichaelC »

Well, alot of critcism about phpBB is about the ACP, while being very advanced and allowing alot of configuration, can be quite hard to understand to newer users.

Although there is documentation because it is so long and on the phpbb.com site users wont look through it.

My proposal is to have two ACP 'Modes'. One being basic, one being advanced.

Some things such as Never Permissions, Bots, PHP Info, Client Communication, Attachment Extensions, Permission Roles, Search Index, Module Management, Manage Report/Denial Reasons, Server Settings etc. could be advanced.

It would be switch able between advanced and basic by a button in the ACP header.

Thoughts?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

3Di

Re: [RFC]ACP Advanced/Basic

Post by 3Di »

Not usefull IMHO. I'd prefer a drag'n'drop panel as suggested here, somewhere else.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

3Di wrote:Not usefull IMHO. I'd prefer a drag'n'drop panel as suggested here, somewhere else.
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=34179

And its completely different thing being talked about.
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

Peppy

Post by Peppy »

I agree, it will be better to use by normal people and by phpBB Gurus...Maybe it will be a litle bit more programming but I think it should be useful...

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

+1 for this feature.
-Jonah

Jaftica

Post by Jaftica »

UK, that's a +1.

I learned the ACP in a very short period but for some it is harder.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

+1.
Besides, most phpbb hosts who have made changes to the system.
E.g: forumotion. They have made massive changes to the phpbb ACP system and they also implemented the simple and advanced modes. May I say, the advanced mode is simple. It does not allow to do stuff as advanced as the current phpbb3's ACP.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

brunoais wrote:+1.
Besides, most phpbb hosts who have made changes to the system.
E.g: forumotion. They have made massive changes to the phpbb ACP system and they also implemented the simple and advanced modes. May I say, the advanced mode is simple. It does not allow to do stuff as advanced as the current phpbb3's ACP.
Forumotion's ACP is custom built using some of the functions from phpBB. Its nothing like it. But yes, the idea of having the advanced and basic similar to what they have is the idea I'm looking at.

mvader

Post by mvader »

+1. For example, the acp permission settings are kinda difficult for newer users.

nathansuchy

Post by nathansuchy »

Not to be off topic here but I use forumatic for my forum about android ad-forums.tk but really we need to make the interface simple 5 minutes ago I was reading viewtopic.php?f=78&t=34179 both of these RFCs need to be implemented.