Hide foe topics

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
drathbun

Re: Hide foe topics

Post by drathbun » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Actually, I think it makes sense. I've never used the "friend" or "foe" feature (even on phpbb.com) but frankly I would have assumed that it already worked this way. If I take the trouble to say I don't want to see activity by someone (a foe) I would assume that's all activity.
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:03 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:I disagree with adding it to the core. Just because a foe started a topic doesn't mean that you wouldn't want to read a non-foes reply to that topic.
Well, the user should decide if he wants to see click/view/read the topic started by the foe, or not.
If he wants, nothing stops him, but he should know its started by a foe.
If the foe starts the topic to ask for support, the others will just answer to him, and you arent really interested in what they had to tell them.

There is already a UCP Module, with two tabs, and with no much options.
They should have more "control over the foes". I have said the options i consider to be worth included previously.
drathbun wrote:If I take the trouble to say I don't want to see activity by someone (a foe) I would assume that's all activity.
Yep, indeed :)
Previous user: TheKiller

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:41 pm

TheKiller wrote:Well, yes, but i do not know the username of every user i have added in my foes list.
If you have that many foes, maybe the problem isn't theirs.... ;)
TheKiller wrote:On a phpbb support forum, i tend to add a lot of people to the foes list, because they dont deserve it. They arent really foes, and i dont have to remember their user.
You make people foes even though they "don't deserve it"? I guess I don't understand that logic at all. (Of course, I've never made anybody a foe on any board, as far as I can remember, even if I really didn't like them.)
TheKiller wrote: Yes, giving it a different colour, like grey, or add some opacity, would be enough.
Yes, they have a link, i said that above.
Given that a topic is only two lines, a color or topic icon is probably the best way to go. I would go with a topic icon as it's a bit more descriptive (maybe a skull and crossbones :D).

Of course, neither a color nor a topic icon "hides" the topic, which is the Subject of this topic.
TheKiller wrote:In the existing "Friends & Foes" UCP tab, we could add extra options, like a counter for friends/foes.
If you want to know the number of friends/foes, you would have to count them all one by one....
Could add extra options there, to let the user decide what to do with the foe' topics/posts
Adding more options for friends and foes makes some sense, but a counter? Why? Are you keeping score against other people?

I haven't used friends/foes on boards, so I'm not sure how it works, so some of the following suggestions my already be implemented, but here goes:
  • Foes are not allowed to view your profile; instead a message is shown saying that they don't have permission to view that profile.
  • The mini-profile in topics only shows your user name to foes (no Web site, IM links, etc.).
  • PMs from foes are flagged or disallowed.
  • Certain parts of your profile (for example, birthday and location) can only be viewed by friends.
  • Provide quick access in the mini-profile to friend/foe somebody (thumbs up/down by their username, perhaps?).
  • User controllable permissions for friends and foes (maybe I still want to see their posts, but don't want them to see my profile).
  • Friends and foes have levels (1-10 or Acquaintance/Buddy/BFF for Friends and Jerk/Nemesis/Arch Enemy for Foes :)) and the above options could be controlled in the UCP by level. For example, maybe foes of level 1-5 can still send me PMs but those get flagged, while foes of level 6-10 can't PM me at all.
That's just off the top of my head.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Pony99CA wrote: If you have that many foes, maybe the problem isn't theirs.... ;)
I do not have foes. I just use the foe system because i am not interested in what somebody says.
Pony99CA wrote: You make people foes even though they "don't deserve it"? I guess I don't understand that logic at all. (Of course, I've never made anybody a foe on any board, as far as I can remember, even if I really didn't like them.)
Yeah. Having foes on the internet is stupid, and i never had to use the option on any forums.
I just use it on a support forum, where i meet quite a few people that act like smart arses, and they are incredibly dumb..

My reasons are irrelevant.
Pony99CA wrote: Given that a topic is only two lines, a color or topic icon is probably the best way to go. I would go with a topic icon as it's a bit more descriptive (maybe a skull and crossbones :D).
Of course, neither a color nor a topic icon "hides" the topic, which is the Subject of this topic.
I guess an icon would be better. That way we wont have to mess up with the colours.
Not hiding, but letting them know its made by a foe.
There could be multiple settings in the UCP Module i guess, to either hide them from the forum list, or mention they are made by a foe.
Pony99CA wrote: Adding more options for friends and foes makes some sense, but a counter? Why? Are you keeping score against other people?
No, i am not keeping score, but i said that the data should be there already, so why not expand the friends and foes system a bit more, and display this info? Maybe some people are interested to know how many friends/foes they have.
Pony99CA wrote: I haven't used friends/foes on boards, so I'm not sure how it works, so some of the following suggestions my already be implemented, but here goes:
  • Foes are not allowed to view your profile; instead a message is shown saying that they don't have permission to view that profile.
  • The mini-profile in topics only shows your user name to foes (no Web site, IM links, etc.).
  • Certain parts of your profile (for example, birthday and location) can only be viewed by friends.
  • Provide quick access in the mini-profile to friend/foe somebody (thumbs up/down by their username, perhaps?).
  • User controllable permissions for friends and foes (maybe I still want to see their posts, but don't want them to see my profile).
  • Friends and foes have levels (1-10 or Acquaintance/Buddy/BFF for Friends and Jerk/Nemesis/Arch Enemy for Foes :)) and the above options could be controlled in the UCP by level. For example, maybe foes of level 1-5 can still send me PMs but those get flagged, while foes of level 6-10 can't PM me at all.

Steve
I fully agree with your 4 suggestions, i am not sure about the rest.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:35 am

TheKiller wrote:
Pony99CA wrote: Adding more options for friends and foes makes some sense, but a counter? Why? Are you keeping score against other people?
No, i am not keeping score, but i said that the data should be there already, so why not expand the friends and foes system a bit more, and display this info? Maybe some people are interested to know how many friends/foes they have.
Meh. Most of those list-box lists don't give a count of how many things are in them. If we have counts, I'd much rather see counts for banned E-mail addresses, users, diallowed names and word censors. But even those are Meh.
TheKiller wrote:
Pony99CA wrote: I haven't used friends/foes on boards, so I'm not sure how it works, so some of the following suggestions my already be implemented, but here goes:
I fully agree with your 4 suggestions, i am not sure about the rest.
You mean the first four (of seven), right? The fifth just saves a step of having to go to the user's profile to make him a friend or foe. The sixth and seventh kick the system up a notch, allowing each user to decide what friends and foes can do, but they're probably the most difficult to implement.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:42 am

nickvergessen wrote:Well loading of foe posts could be done via JS, but that should be a different RFC then.
It seems like that is already done -- in the topic preview (although there's no way to hide the posts again unless you Preview your post).

I'd consider a +/- icon with Display this post and Hide this post. Reloading the page would of course hide all of the foe posts. In fact, you might allow that on all posts -- sometimes you might want to view two posts together without some long intervening posts -- but that's also a different RFC.

Steve

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:46 am

Hum, well, i am pretty sure that a PHP script could count the number of rows inserted in the database.
Like, checking the zebra table.... see how many times a user_id is specified there, and get the number of toal rows/friends/foes).

Most websites have a count of the friends you have. I dont see why not load this, as it already exists, and it is easy to load.

Yes, i meant the first 4, from top.
Oh.. i understand now. I dont think that should be included.. You dont add friends/foes that often, or at all. Its fine on the profile page, i think.
Pony99CA wrote: I'd consider a +/- icon with Display this post and Hide this post. Reloading the page would of course hide all of the foe posts. In fact, you might allow that on all posts -- sometimes you might want to view two posts together without some long intervening posts -- but that's also a different RFC.
Yep, sounds good. Well, this isnt really a proper RFC, but a discussion about improving the foe/friends thingy.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:45 pm

An other nice feature would be if you could add a reason on why you decided to be friends or foes with someone.