Why not using Twitter Bootstrap?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
piyushparkash

Why not using Twitter Bootstrap?

Post by piyushparkash »

Hi all,
I just found out about Twitter Bootstrap and I think it is a great library. Why aren't we using it to customize the UI?
I think phpBB will look great with Bootstrap.
Thanks.
:)

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Re: Why not using Twitter Bootstrap?

Post by Vinny »

Bootstrap is great, but... isn't GPLv2 compatible

Bootstrap = Apache License v2.0 || phpBB = GNU GPLv2

piyushparkash

Post by piyushparkash »

Oh! I kindof had started imagining phpBB with Bootstrap..but phpBB really needs something like this..don't you think..?

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

First of all, phpBB do not need whole Bootstrap (what is quite big), prosilver is simply default style developed by phpBB's team itself. You can easily create new style using Bootstrap, however it will not be license compatibile, as Vinny already said.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I do not believe that usage of the GPL in the phpBB source code would put any requirements on licenses used in the templates, since they are entirely separate from the phpBB code. Also, since it is just css/js, I do not believe that there would be any requirements on license compatibility either, since they css/js can be considered independent since it is not technically required to display the page.

The only experience I've had with the Twitter Bootstrap has been a rather bad one, so I can't say I'd like to use it, but it would definitely be possible for third parties (or probably even phpBB itself) to make templates with the Twitter Bootstrap and release them.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Twitter Bootstrap is great… but not suitable for actual websites. It's great for prototyping, and it's great for intranets, but it's always either recognisably Bootstrap, or you're not using enough of it for it to be worth using Bootstrap.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

lis78

Post by lis78 »

Vinny wrote:Bootstrap is great, but... isn't GPLv2 compatible

Hello,
I don't understand what you mean when you say it is not GPLv2 compatible. What is GPLv2?

ekerazha

Post by ekerazha »

Zurb Foundation ( http://foundation.zurb.com/ ) is a great Bootstrap alternative and it is GPLv2-compatible (MIT license).

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

lis78 wrote:
Vinny wrote:Bootstrap is great, but... isn't GPLv2 compatible

Hello,
I don't understand what you mean when you say it is not GPLv2 compatible. What is GPLv2?
GPLv2 is the license phpBB3 is using.

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

I think we really really need 2 things:

1. A barebone theme
I can take subsilver apart and start creating a new style from it but there're still classes from subsilver inside the template files. Taking out files from it is also very tedious.

2. A phpBB "blessed" CSS class file that can handle basic functions
A very minimal in-house bootstrap alternative but without the javascript part. Something that can handle basic grids and layouts, forms, buttons, etc.

This should be the only file affected by updates in phpBB. So theme designers just update this file instead of editing every small change in all of the other CSS files.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D