FAQ Manager

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by Vinny »

FAQ entries are defined in the language files that can be easily edited via ACP or downloading the file and editing it.
Jacob wrote:I don't really think that many people would benefit from this. Nobody reads the FAQ, anyway.
Agree.

For me -1.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Have you tried editing the FAQ using either of those methods?

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

I have indeed done so, editing the file and reuploading. Not pretty, but as I've said, not even 1 in a 100 admins would use this easier method.
Maybe it's just a tiny addition to the core, but not worth it in my opinion.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

It's been downloaded over 17,000 times.

I'm not sure what you mean by not worth it, what is the drawback that you're thinking of that makes this not worth it?

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

For users, it shouldn't add any bloat at all (unless they view the FAQs and a bunch of new ones were added). It might add a little to the ACP, but presumably those that didn't want it would be able to disable/delete the module, right? So while I don't know how useful it would be overall, I don't think that it would hurt anything and I know that some users want it. Yes, it's a bit redundant with the Langauge Pack editor, but this has one nice feature -- it allows adding new FAQs.

Speaking of the Language Pack editor, it might also be nice if there were the option to download the modified FAQ files (as in the Language Pack editor). Yes, you could use FTP or maybe the Language Pack page, but this would be a shortcut.

Personally, I think that something similar for the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy would be more useful, but that's probably a different RFC. ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

EXreaction wrote:It's been downloaded over 17,000 times.

I'm not sure what you mean by not worth it, what is the drawback that you're thinking of that makes this not worth it?
I was thinking about having yet another option (tab) on the ACP. It's crowed enough right now.

It's not a big deal, but, you know, I'd prefer a core as light and simple as posible.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

I'm all for having it in the default code. I currently use the mod and it's definitely worth having.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Jacob wrote: It's not a big deal, but, you know, I'd prefer a core as light and simple as posible.
Regarding "lightness", this won't affect users of the board at all, only admins (and probably not that much).

Regarding simplicity, this actually makes changing the FAQs simpler (a visible option to do it) compared to the current methods (having to search for the correct files to edit) while adding almost no complexity for the admin. An admin wanting to do something with the FAQs will find it easily, an admin wanting to do something else won't have to wonder much what the "FAQ Manager" does.

Contrast that with Board Features and Board Settings, where I'm always having to check both for a certain setting.

Of course, if ACP Search is added, finding items would become easier.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Pony99CA wrote:
Jacob wrote: It's not a big deal, but, you know, I'd prefer a core as light and simple as posible.
Regarding "lightness", this won't affect users of the board at all, only admins (and probably not that much).

Regarding simplicity, this actually makes changing the FAQs simpler (a visible option to do it) compared to the current methods (having to search for the correct files to edit) while adding almost no complexity for the admin. An admin wanting to do something with the FAQs will find it easily, an admin wanting to do something else won't have to wonder much what the "FAQ Manager" does.

Contrast that with Board Features and Board Settings, where I'm always having to check both for a certain setting.

Of course, if ACP Search is added, finding items would become easier.

Steve
@ Pony99CA - +1 to that ;)

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

It would not require a tab, it is just a single module that could be added under System or something, same as the Language Packs editor is.