Related topics

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Meis2M

Related topics

Post by Meis2M »

Hi.

What do you think about a Related topics in topics, for 3.1.X ?
a Related topics based on finding the most relevant matching Topic Titles. Related topics Can help to prevent asking duplicate questions and it was very useful for users.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [RFC] Related topics

Post by Senky »

Perfect as an extension, but really not in the core.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

Senky wrote:-1
Agree.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Senky wrote:-1
I agree also.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

This topic is insufficient for an RFC as it lacks any details of implementation, so moving to discussion.

Danielx64

Re: Related topics

Post by Danielx64 »

Also -1 here

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

I think that a feature like this can be a great addition to the core as long it is build properly.
The trick however is how to determine whether a topic is "related". Simply matching the topic titles won't be sufficient as you'll also have to take content into account.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

^
Also, comparing topic data is not an easy task. It's a lot like a search (like one made in search.php) for each topic in order to be made properly. This is one of the features you deactivate when you have your server overloaded. I still think -1.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:The trick however is how to determine whether a topic is "related".
That is why I think it should be left for extensions. More people can determine it in another way, they will create more different extensions and end users can choose the one they like.

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Senky wrote:
Erik Frèrejean wrote:The trick however is how to determine whether a topic is "related".
That is why I think it should be left for extensions. More people can determine it in another way, they will create more different extensions and end users can choose the one they like.
Sure it would probably fit better as an extension, but I do think that this is something that could be made into an RFC and then "related" can be discussed there. However this will isn't a trivial RFC to write as you need to make sure things are thought out properly before posting it.
Yes I think this can be something for the core, however I'm not so sure anyone will have the time to properly think this through before posting a RFC for it (if not done properly it will most likely be rejected in no time).
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer