"Official" integration with Akismet

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
AliasM2K

Re: "Official" integration with Akismet

Post by AliasM2K »

+1 for Akismet as core...

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello AliasM2K,
Stop Forum Spam and BotScout in my experience are much more successfully.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Because they're the most used. If Akismet were supported in the core, it would be far more effective. Akismet has proven itself to work successfully, has the most experience, and can handle every single phpBB board sending requests to it (I'm not sure that the two you mention would have).

I've had problems with your modifications flagging genuine posts as spam before, and I've never had that problem with Akismet.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello Callum,
last months while programing ABM 1.1.0 I've tried Akismet, Stop Forum Spam, BotScout and Project Honey Pot single and separatley for serveral days and weeks on my support & test forum. My statement is based on these comapring tests and experience.
The authentication is important for reporting new spam only. And here all HTTP blacklists are requiring a key. But BotScout and Project Honey Pot only have an user frontend on their websites to report new spam manually.

Which version of Advanced Block MOD do you mean? When have you tried it?
In ABM 1.0.10 a new feature/setting has been added not to check posts of registered users. phpBB3 by default is checking all posts with check_dnsbl.
But please note that Advanced Block MOD 1.1.0 is a completely new generation of the MOD.
Advanced Block MOD support you can find under http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/a ... block_mod/ . IMO this is the best place for feedback about ABM, too.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I tried it for a few weeks about four months ago on two boards, by own personal board (phpBB Mobile), and a larger board with about 20 genuine registrations a day. We decided to test your mod, but had to disable it after it was blocking so many users from posting and registering. It's the blacklists, not the mod.

I'm just saying that we need to be very careful when using blacklists, as we can't use dumb ones like Stop Forum Spam and BotScout.

Of course anyone testing Akismet right now won't have good results, and nobody uses it for forums!
My blog

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello Callum,
we are a little bit off-topic. Two last things about ABM here:
1. As I said and wrote serveral times in past I need feedback and I'm interested in every feedback. ABM has nearly 10.000 downloads now. But feedback is very rare. It's sad. (MOD DB rating is good but it's just a funny thing. ;) ) My aim is to optimize the weight settings for the blacklists to have no false positives. On my boards I got it. If possible please send me a backup of your block log. I'm very interested in it!
2. These minutes I checked my recommedations under http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/a ... /faq/f_698 . I've updated the weight value for the first and the second blacklist. A snapshot of my recent experience: At the moment ISP dynamic IP ranges for mobile devices are listed very often on the blacklists which I've given a low weight value. So normally they are not blocked by ABM. But the risc for false postives is increased a little bit (at the moment).

Bye Martin

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

What is involved in an official integration with akismet?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Oleg wrote:What is involved in an official integration with akismet?
Confit options with ACP thing, code on post submit (very easy), and an option to mark as spam on post delete.
My blog

MartinTruckenbrodt

callumacrae wrote:
Oleg wrote:What is involved in an official integration with akismet?
Confit options with ACP thing, code on post submit (very easy), and an option to mark as spam on post delete.
Hello Callum,
I'm not sure if you mean blocking or moderation.

What you are describing is a lite version. I'm missing some more features.

Feel free to analyse or to test ABM 1.1.0 code. Screenshots for ABM 1.1.0 will come next week.
ABM 1.1.0 is a plug-in system for HTTP and IP-RBL DNS and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists.

Bye Martin

drathbun

Post by drathbun »

callumacrae wrote:I've had problems with your modifications flagging genuine posts as spam before, and I've never had that problem with Akismet.
I have. It does not happen often, but I have had some legitimate content (most recent was just a few days ago) get sent to the spam bucket.

The concern that I would have with an effort to utilize Akismet for forums is that the type of spam posted on forums is not always the same as what is posted on blogs. The system relies on behaviors that are consistent from one blog to another. I'm not convinced that adding forums to the mix would work well, at least in the beginning, simply because the content won't be the same.
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.