Receive/Send Trackbacks

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Emmanuel_Chanel

Receive/Send Trackbacks

Post by Emmanuel_Chanel »

Receive/Send Trackbacks
I requested the mod for receiving trackbacks on 3.0.x. But nobody replies. To be bad, I'm not good at phpBB or at php itself. Oh... I'm not good at trackback function, either...
I've found the mod to send/receive trackbacks for phpBB2. It's referred on http://support.hiikun.net/bbs/topic-20.html , the Japanese forum about phpBB2. But I don't understand Korean or if it works on phpBB3.(I'm a Japanese man.)
If we had this function, people of phpBB forums can see the blog entries related to the topics with received trackback and people seeing blogs can see phpBB's topics related to the entries.
This function make the link between the phpBB forum and the blog communities be much better.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] Receive/Send Trackbacks

Post by callumacrae »

+1

vBulletin has this built in, I don't know if anything else does.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

I think IP.Board got it as well, not too sure though.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I'll move this to discussion for now, because it does not contain enough details on the proposed implementation (how/where would they be displayed what kind of configuration/permissions would be necessary, what to do about trackback spam etc.)

_hsr

Re: Receive/Send Trackbacks

Post by _hsr »

+1 for this, would be helpful for a scenario where there's a blog and a forum on a website etc..
There is a text here !

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

+1

Trackbacks is a nice concept but it's a bit dated since people don't just "blog". Maybe this could be broaden a bit to something like "reactions" including blog trackbacks, retweets, facebook shares/likes, etc.

Since those 2 social networks are huge at the moment I wouldn't worry if this is future proof, or at least I'm sure including them would be as possitive as trackbacks.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I'm in doubt if this has what it takes to be in the core or not... I'll go with ±0. Depending on how this should be worked on it is +1 (ok for core) or -1 (and what a great extension).

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

brunoais wrote:I'm in doubt if this has what it takes to be in the core or not... I'll go with ±0. Depending on how this should be worked on it is +1 (ok for core) or -1 (and what a great extension).
It'd be pretty easy, I might have a go at it.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

ecwpa wrote:+1

Trackbacks is a nice concept but it's a bit dated since people don't just "blog". Maybe this could be broaden a bit to something like "reactions" including blog trackbacks, retweets, facebook shares/likes, etc.

Since those 2 social networks are huge at the moment I wouldn't worry if this is future proof, or at least I'm sure including them would be as possitive as trackbacks.
+1 for that.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackback, this sounds like an API for sending spam to me.