[RFC] Ability to @mention specific users in posts

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
brunoais

Re: [RFC] Ability to @mention specific users in posts

Post by brunoais »

Senky wrote: @"my nickname"

otherwise it is almost impossible to correctly catch all mentions of multi-word usernames by php parser.
I already have a regex find that is usable with that :). Ready to use.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

I would like to see it implemented with javascript regarding to how Facebook does it. You @ mention someone and then it shows a list of users. With that said, now people would have to think how to implement this in CKEditor if they use it, or what ever rich text editor they use, and what to do if a plain text editor was used (maybe the feature shouldn't work at all if plain text was used?) How is it going to be processed?
-Jonah

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

jsebean wrote:If there is a wide match you could use the already existing find user system that's already used in PMs and the ACP.
There's a ticket somewhere for improvements to the Find user thing to use AJAX, which I was planning on doing. It could be used for this, too.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

jsebean wrote:I would like to see it implemented with javascript regarding to how Facebook does it. You @ mention someone and then it shows a list of users. With that said, now people would have to think how to implement this in CKEditor if they use it, or what ever rich text editor they use, and what to do if a plain text editor was used (maybe the feature shouldn't work at all if plain text was used?) How is it going to be processed?
Facebook doesn't do it like that, it doesn't even have @ anymore.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

I can tag users in posts in facebook. It doesn't have the @ sign in front but it's the same thing, mentioning a user in a status update, a user gets a notification. You can use @ when trying to mention someone on facebook, the @ will be taken away once you select a name you're tagging.

Of course, phpBB and Facebook isn't the same, but the idea is the close to the same. How would it be implemented though in phpBB?
-Jonah

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:There should be some sort of "notification" box which is used for these kind of notifications. I don't think that the end user should be able to chose, just add a new special box for these kind of notifications.
Something like "Mentions" perhaps?

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

AliasM2K wrote:
Erik Frèrejean wrote:There should be some sort of "notification" box which is used for these kind of notifications. I don't think that the end user should be able to chose, just add a new special box for these kind of notifications.
Something like "Mentions" perhaps?
The biggest advantage of making it more generic (i.e. notifications) is that you can utilise it if phpBB down the road needs to sent other notifications and MOD authors can use it as well to send out notifications.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

_hsr

Post by _hsr »

Well, once the "search user should recommend usernames" is finished and merged, we can figure out a way to use the same thing in finding usernames with spaces.

Tagging can also be done in a style similar to the github markup for links, for eg:

Code: Select all

[@user name], you should try this option : blabla or ask [@user2] about it

[@1] [link_to_profile]
[@2] [link_to_profile2]
and the parser should output something like:
[url=http://path_to_profile]user name[/url], you should try this option : blabla or ask [url=http://path_to_profile2]user2[/url] about it
There is a text here !

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

callumacrae wrote:Facebook doesn't do it like that, it doesn't even have @ anymore.
It's still there, at least for me:

A "mentions" section separated from pm sounds good to me.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
brunoais wrote:Personally I wouldn't like to have this kind of PM mixedup with the rest of the PMs, I'd rather have a folder specially made for these warnings. I think you should take that in mind while implementing this feature, don't force the user to receive the PM about this in the inbox, allow him to choose the folder to receive this.
^ that.
There should be some sort of "notification" box which is used for these kind of notifications. I don't think that the end user should be able to chose, just add a new special box for these kind of notifications.

I've created a RFC for the notification issue: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=42829