[RFC] Q&A plugin by default

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

[RFC] Q&A plugin by default

Post by Vinny »

Except for the recaptcha and Q&A, the other captchas are too weak and ineffective :| , the default plugin is too bad(seriously, it's very bad).

In my opinion, Q&A is more effective in combating spam and should be set as the default.

Why?
The default plugin is very old, exists since the beginning of phpBB3, has long since was broken and isn't intended to prevent spambot. Is possible to read various topics about 'violent' attacks of spam in Support Forum, the fault of the inefficiency default plugin. :roll:

How?
Since the phpBB is translated into several languages​​, I think that new text variables should be entered with questions and answers, which must be translated, adapted or changed(according to choice of the translators).

Benefits
Better combating spam bots. :D

Thoughts?

EDIT: Ticket
Last edited by imkingdavid on Wed May 02, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to tracker ticket.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] Q&A plugin by default

Post by callumacrae »

While I definitely think that Q&A > *, I don't think that it should be the default. If it were the default, then either it would have to have some default questions, which bots would know the answers to and admins wouldn't change, or questions would have to be added during the install process, which would make it longer.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

As callumacrae said, if you set default questions, many boards will keep those questions, and it is pretty simple for bots to know answers for them.

Setting reCaptcha as refault is also weird, because you force user to go to external site (recaptcha.com). However it seems like no other way is possible to keep boards spam-free... (peoplesign requires the key, too)

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

You can't set reCAPTCHA as default as it requires an API key.
My blog

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

I think its a good idea, but forums need unique questions. Maybe add it as option during installation?

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I think this should just be left as it is to be honest.

They need to be unique and only options required to install the tables/data should be asked at installation.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Something like a "Wizard" could be used for this? There are a few settings that I always change on install.
My blog

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

callumacrae wrote:Something like a "Wizard" could be used for this? There are a few settings that I always change on install.
Install enough is confusing and long enough for some end users, we don't want to go and add more un-necessary items to the install.

Personally I would still go through every page of settings and permissions and CAPTCHAs etc.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
callumacrae wrote:Something like a "Wizard" could be used for this? There are a few settings that I always change on install.
Install enough is confusing and long enough for some end users, we don't want to go and add more un-necessary items to the install.

Personally I would still go through every page of settings and permissions and CAPTCHAs etc.
I meant in addition to the install process. "Installation complete... Would you like to go to the setup wizard? (recommended for first time users)."

Actually, that's a really bad idea >_<
My blog

stevemaury
Support Team
Support Team

Post by stevemaury »

A default set of questions is no good, as no matter how many you have, they can be broken by anyone with access to the phpBB installation files, which is everyone.

Admittedly making an installation requirement of configuring Q&A would make the process longer and perhaps more difficult. Perhaps an override?
By default, phpBB must be configured to require a question at registration to combat spam. The method offered, if properly used, is very effective. However, if this is a local installation, or an intranet or one with closed registration, or for any other reason you wish to override that, you can do so by by checking the box below that says "I love spam" (just kidding - "I do not want to enable spambot countermeasures at this time")