GSoC 2012 Project [Need help]

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
shibulijack

GSoC 2012 Project [Need help]

Post by shibulijack »

Hello! I was very happy to know that phpBB got accepted into GSoC. Ever since I heard the good news, I started working on "Rich Text Editor Integration".
I was able to successfully integrate a JS text editor into the phpBB core.
The problem which I am facing now is the integration of phpBB smileys with the editor's smileys. Can someone please help me out with this? Also, how shall I proceed? I thought of setting up a User option in the Admin Panel so that each user could select their preferred editor. Suggestions are welcome.

naderman
Consultant

Re: GSoC 2012 Project [Need help]

Post by naderman »

Since you're calling this a GSoC project, you might want to consider what you will be doing during the summer. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful you are working on phpBB, and will be happy to help however I can. But if you're working on this now, what is your plan for the 3 months in the summer? There's no need to answer this here in public. But if you plan on applying for a GSoC project, you should consider what you want to propose for your summer project in your application.

Now on the coding side: As I mentioned before, please explain exactly what you have tried so far to get smilies working. Why and what has not worked with those approaches? Your question is too generic, for anyone to answer easily.

shibulijack

Post by shibulijack »

Well, I have just started working on this project. Still there is a long way to go and I am pretty sure I will have loads of code to write all through the summer. For example, the Visual Editor integration is not perfect (as you know, the smileys problem). Also I will have to make changes in ACP, SQL_schema and many more.. I am just so excited that one of my favorite open source software is participating in GSoC for the first time. That is why I am working on the project day and night. I never thought large contributions in the initial stage would in turn get me into trouble. Hmmm, I guess I will have to stop contributing for now and wait till GSoC.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

shibulijack wrote:Well, I have just started working on this project. Still there is a long way to go and I am pretty sure I will have loads of code to write all through the summer. For example, the Visual Editor integration is not perfect (as you know, the smileys problem). Also I will have to make changes in ACP, SQL_schema and many more.. I am just so excited that one of my favorite open source software is participating in GSoC for the first time. That is why I am working on the project day and night. I never thought large contributions in the initial stage would in turn get me into trouble. Hmmm, I guess I will have to stop contributing for now and wait till GSoC.
Naderman never said your in trouble, he was simply pointing out that if you've almost completed it now, then what would you do during summer?

Thing is you need to find a pace that means your coding all summer and not finishing before the mid-way evaluations but there is nothing wrong with getting started early. :)

If you've almost finished this now you could probably even do a second project should you wish (I'm not sure on the GSoC rules on this or even whether phpBB would want this to happen)?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

shibulijack

Post by shibulijack »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
shibulijack wrote:Well, I have just started working on this project. Still there is a long way to go and I am pretty sure I will have loads of code to write all through the summer. For example, the Visual Editor integration is not perfect (as you know, the smileys problem). Also I will have to make changes in ACP, SQL_schema and many more.. I am just so excited that one of my favorite open source software is participating in GSoC for the first time. That is why I am working on the project day and night. I never thought large contributions in the initial stage would in turn get me into trouble. Hmmm, I guess I will have to stop contributing for now and wait till GSoC.
Naderman never said your in trouble, he was simply pointing out that if you've almost completed it now, then what would you do during summer?

Thing is you need to find a pace that means your coding all summer and not finishing before the mid-way evaluations but there is nothing wrong with getting started early. :)

If you've almost finished this now you could probably even do a second project should you wish (I'm not sure on the GSoC rules on this or even whether phpBB would want this to happen)?
One more reason for starting early is that I will be having my University Examination during the first two weeks of May. So in order to make up for it, I have been working extra hours now.
Also, I will make a timeline for GSoC today so that I code at a steady pace and I will make sure I code all through the summer. I would be happy to work on a second project too, may be after GSoC! Thanks for your reply unknownbliss. Means a lot to me (coz I was scared, to be frank).

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I would advise starting with a few smaller tickets before adding a major feature.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

shibulijack

Post by shibulijack »

callumacrae wrote:I would advise starting with a few smaller tickets before adding a major feature.
I don't quite understand!

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

I think what callumacrae possibly means is, that you should maybe first fix/add some smaller things to phpbb to get a "feel for the code". After that start with a major feature like you have been already. If you start with something big immediately and get stuck, it can become very quickly frustrating. At least for me it would and has in the past 0.o .

shibulijack

Post by shibulijack »

DarkBeing wrote:I think what callumacrae possibly means is, that you should maybe first fix/add some smaller things to phpbb to get a "feel for the code". After that start with a major feature like you have been already. If you start with something big immediately and get stuck, it can become very quickly frustrating. At least for me it would and has in the past 0.o .
As a matter of fact, I have already fixed a few smaller things. But yes, I will be more actively fixing bugs hereafter.