[RFC] LESS CSS

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: [RFC] LESS CSS

Post by hanakin »

+1 for some sort of advanced CSS preprocessor, however theeir are many and if you are talking about using it o the backend I would be more inclined to use sass as its ruby based, far more powerful, and with compass included extremely extensive but by the time 4.0 comes around their would most likely be lots of these floating around
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

hanakin wrote:I would be more inclined to use sass as its ruby based, far more powerful,
There's no guarantee that a server that runs php will run ruby so... Bad idea dude.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

hanakin wrote:+1 for some sort of advanced CSS preprocessor, however theeir are many and if you are talking about using it o the backend I would be more inclined to use sass as its ruby based, far more powerful, and with compass included extremely extensive but by the time 4.0 comes around their would most likely be lots of these floating around
SASS is nice, but I prefer LESS.

For the record, there are SASS parsers available for PHP.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

brunoais wrote:
hanakin wrote:I would be more inclined to use sass as its ruby based, far more powerful,
There's no guarantee that a server that runs php will run ruby so... Bad idea dude.
point was i would prefer it not that it should be, as call pointed out can run it through php but where available can utilize ruby any way most servers professional servers these days have ruby exspecially if they are linux based
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

hanakin wrote:
brunoais wrote:
point was i would prefer it not that it should be, as call pointed out can run it through php but where available can utilize ruby any way most servers professional servers these days have ruby exspecially if they are linux based
-1, even if it is available, Ruby should not be used. phpBB should use only PHP, server-side.
My blog

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

An article about Sass vs Stylus vs LESS.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Unknown Bliss wrote:An article about Sass vs Stylus vs LESS.
The differences between the languages are purely down to personal preference (I personally prefer LESS, but probably just because I'm used to it), but the LESS CSS compiler for PHP is far superior to any Sass compiler I have seen (there isn't really any one big one, just tonnes of smaller ones).

How about making a thread in the style authors forum nearer the time? I'd be happy to make it :-)

-1 @ Stylus; I just don't like some things it does.
My blog

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

+1 for LESS
+0 for Sass -> Not bad but still... not exactly my style.
-1 for Stylus -> I don't like the way it works.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

+1 for LESS
VSE+ wrote:My 2 cents: Use LESS to build the CSS during development. However, compile it and distribute the compiled CSS with phpBB 4.

It isn't fair to ask users to learn yet another coding language.
In fact, is it fair to ask users to learn Symfony? LESS is pretty like CSS - in addition, you can simply use just CSS, LESS compiler will just ignore it. And it will rapidly speed up styling when used.