Autoselect the textarea to write in

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Dragosvr92

Re: Autoselect the textarea to write in

Post by Dragosvr92 »

callumacrae wrote:How about just listening for any (letter) key event and focusing the form when a letter is pressed? I don't think many people know about accesskeys.
Thats perfect, it does what i wanted. By the way, will 3.1.0 be making use of HTML5 And CSS3 ?

There are alot of things that i think should be added in phpbb. Like the placeholder attribute on the input areas, like the search input. The current one is lame. If you press submit it searches for the value set, which is "Search...". Right clicking the area does nothing..... Also, using CSS3 to generate images would be great.
Previous user: TheKiller

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I believe that the use of border-radius is being discussed, but nobody has mentioned placeholders yet (the feature is essentially replicated anyway, iirc). The HTML5 doctype will be used, but I don't think any HTML5 elements are going to be used.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

callumacrae wrote:The HTML5 doctype will be used, but I don't think any HTML5 elements are going to be used.
Then whats the point in using it ?
As long as the doctype is for HTML5, then it could include a few html5 elements which will pass validation.
So why not use them? If the doctype is html5, why not write a FULLY HTML5 phpbb style?

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

TheKiller wrote:Then whats the point in using it ?
Shorter header and ability to use those elements.
TheKiller wrote:As long as the doctype is for HTML5, then it could include a few html5 elements which will pass validation.
So why not use them? If the doctype is html5, why not write a FULLY HTML5 phpbb style?
1. IE8 and older versions don't natively support them.
2. There is no point in changing html tags structure for existing style, it will only confuse style and mod developers. There is no benefit of doing it.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Arty wrote: Shorter header and ability to use those elements.
And those elements are.. very limited i see.
Arty wrote: 1. IE8 and older versions don't natively support them.
2. There is no point in changing html tags structure for existing style, it will only confuse style and mod developers. There is no benefit of doing it.
Will phpbb4 still bother to support IE8?
You may be right, but having a Full html5 phpbb style would be nice.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

imkingdavid wrote:
callumacrae wrote:How about just listening for any (letter) key event and focusing the form when a letter is pressed? I don't think many people know about accesskeys.
+1 Although we should also listen for numeric keys.
+1
Note that if the user is pressing the ctrl or cmd or alt that event should be ignored. The user may be trying to use one of the browser's shortcuts.
Also, that listening should be done so that if the main code of event executes (select the textarea) that code is not executed again in that page load.

The idea goes as follows:

Code: Select all

When the user presses one of: [A-z0-9!$%&/()=?{[\]}+-_] and control isn't pressed and cmd isn't pressed and alt isn't pressed and the user is not focusing the title input tag (that tag with the @name="subject") then change focus to the textarea.
Does that sound right?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

It should be when the user isn't focused on any sort of input.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

TheKiller wrote:Will phpbb4 still bother to support IE8?
If it takes over 7 years to produce then probably not. Otherwise expect it to be supported. In fact it's not in the support lifecycle list:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectindex
Which means Microsoft hasn't even bothered thinking about the end of IE8. ;)

I don't know why you're so hung up on HTML 5 anyways...it's not like it's soooooo much better than XHTML that it'll make your site blazing fast by using an all HTML 5 style. :|

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

yeeheey, IE Is falling ! :mrgreen:
Well, its just that there are some nice and easy to use improvements, like the placeholder. I'm not so crazy about HTML5 as i am for CSS3 !

It would be nice tho, to have a site that is up to date with the latest software/technology out there.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

callumacrae wrote:Pressing backspace to go back through pages? lolno, hi google!
That's why I got used to ALT+LEFT (and ALT+RIGHT) decades ago, so I'm invincible to this auto-focus crap. ;)

Why not having a new user setting? (Although I guess a lot of people will fall off as many are too lazy to browse through all of their UCP sites)