[RFC] ACP Search

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
jsebean

[RFC] ACP Search

Post by jsebean »

Many forum softwares have a feature where you can "search" the ACP. I've used a number of board softwares such as MyBB and IPB and the Search in their ACPs have made life a lot easier to find options, especially being a new user. Also for advanced users by having search it means you have a lot less clicking to do, and with phpBB being a pretty advanced forum software with a lot of options, I think a Search box for the ACP would be really nice.
-Jonah

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] ACP Search

Post by callumacrae »

+1
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

+1. Sounds like a good idea. But would it search in the Module Names or the content of the modules?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

Unknown Bliss wrote:+1. Sounds like a good idea. But would it search in the Module Names or the content of the modules?
I'd say why not both.
-Jonah

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I'd like to think about how this could be accomplished before stating an opinion on whether this is a good feature. I think it would require a rewrite of the ACP (which is OK, but would affect my vote)
A_Jelly_Doughnut

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Why would it require a re-write of the ACP? All it would need to do is search through the modules table (or what ever the name for it is)? I'm assuming the name is in the modules table.

Thats why I asked about names or content, as searching content means searching through files which then gets complicated with template vars etc.

For titles it would decode the language vars then search them. Although that is quite slow and intensive when you have a large number of modules so there would need to be a way to index modules, then when adding modules it would re-index the modules.
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Hum... Sounds good.
It will require a change of the DB parameters. The name of the module
The modules only have the keyname E.g. ACP_MESSAGES. We'll need to make a match between what is in the languages folder and make a reverse lookup to find the key.
A good idea is to save the result of the reverse lookup in the session variables and use it if the search is used again.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

brunoais wrote:Hum... Sounds good.
It will require a change of the DB parameters. The name of the module
The modules only have the keyname E.g. ACP_MESSAGES. We'll need to make a match between what is in the languages folder and make a reverse lookup to find the key.
A good idea is to save the result of the reverse lookup in the session variables and use it if the search is used again.
Unknown Bliss wrote:Why would it require a re-write of the ACP? All it would need to do is search through the modules table (or what ever the name for it is)?

For titles it would decode the language vars then search them. Although that is quite slow and intensive when you have a large number of modules so there would need to be a way to index modules, then when adding modules it would re-index the modules.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I don't think searching for modules would be as useful as searching for settings or actions. Modules are not that hard to find (imo).

The issue is that settings and actions aren't indexed afaik, so it wouldn't be easy to search for them at the moment. Also, currently there are duplicated settings (i.e. the same thing in multiple modules) which could make things confusing as well.

We should consider this for after the Cleaning Up the ACP RFC is done, imo.

EDIT: But if it can be implemented correctly, +1
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

jsbean wrote:Also for advanced users by having search it means you have a lot less clicking to do,
I don't really think so. With 3 clicks you can be wherever you want, typing would take more time. For begginers, sure, but I think it would be better to rearrange options and modules.