[RFC] Automated Updating

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

[RFC] Automated Updating

Post by MichaelC »

This would solve a lot of problems including people not having the time and sometimes the knowledge to update phpBB. It would keep more phpBB installations up-to-date and make updating a quick and effortless task that depending on user choices could not even require user input. It could also be combined with the CDB integration (if and when it happens) with updating MODs, Styles etc.

My proposal is:

To rename the Check for Updates Module to phpBB Updates or Software Updates to make it more appropriate to its contents and to have the following on the page.
  • What is currently there
    The latest and installed version, more information about the latest release, check for new update all of which is already there.
  • Four new automated updating options:
    1. Automatically upload the new download and install it
    2. Automatically upload the new download but wait for me to install it
    3. I want to update manually, just notify me for new updates
    4. Don't check for updates and update manually
  • If option 2 is selected (or if option 1 is selected and the update failed) then an install update button
  • If option 3 is selected a download update button appears
  • Update Log (maybe a separate module)
    A log of all updates with details on changes forced or were not done or when an update was not completed but started

Note: The numbers correspond to the aforementioned numbers for each option.

4 - Don't check for updates and update manually
This would stop the installation from checking the version check file on phpBB and therefore it can't automatically update.

3 - I want to update manually, just notify me for new updates
As it is now, just having the update check but not doing anything else automatically.

3 & 2 & 1 -
When it detects an update is avaliable it will generate a url to the download file using the latest version and the installed version (installed version from constants.php and the DB for security, if different just link to the general download page on phpBB or the release page/announcement) and find the automatic updater file (http://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/{ ... [b]{LATEST}[/b]/phpBB-{INSTALLED}_to_{LATEST}.zip - bold bits would change per release), the latest major version (e.g 3.1 or 3.2) could be added to the DB and constants file or it can just get the first 3 characters from the installed version. In option 3 this would then become the download link. In 1 and 2 see the next comment.

2 & 1 -
It will then download this version into a temp file and unpack it into the phpBB root and remove the temp file. For option 2 the button would now appear in the ACP.

2 - For 2 to work, it would need to instead of the install file disabling phpBB it would need to add a 'step' where it enables/disables the board. When installing phpBB for the first time the board would need to be preset to disabled (meaning this would probably need to be something in the files and not in the DB)?

1 -
It would then install automatically, then use this RFC and remove the install file as per this RFC. This will fail if there are mod conflicts but hopefully these should be rare after hooks implementation. (maybe it could be set to skip any changes that don't involve login or the acp (if it does involve login or the acp then it should fail just in case) and just notify the user in the acp?)

If any problems with the above occur it is shown as a blue message on the ACP similar to the could not check for updates message and full details are in the update log.

Thoughts?
Last edited by MichaelC on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] Automated Updating

Post by callumacrae »

I'd like to see this, too. I don't agree with it being entire automated, though.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

It would only be completely automated if
1) The user wants it too be
2) If it works (meaning that if its set to be automated then it will only do it automatically if everything works and if the slightest thing goes wrong it fails).

Just another thought, when its pre-uploaded do we want a button to go to the installer and do it manually (like it is now) or get phpBB to do it (like when it does the whole thing automated except it does the install when told too) and if it fails say manually only. The later would be quicker and have better ease-of-use for the admin.
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

+1, I think the same as wordpress update, simple and easy.
Unknown Bliss wrote:It could also be combined with the CDB integration (if and when it happens) with updating MODs, Styles etc.
like this

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Just one note, it would need to be backwards compatible so when you update to 3.2.x from 3.x.x it still works with items such as disabling the board (or rather re-enabling being harder) etc.

Unless the plan for updating 3.y to 3.z is similar to the way it was done from 2.0.0 to 3.0.0 (converting rather than updating)?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I disagree with allowing #4, since I think that users should always be notified upon a new release. Perhaps we could add a "Close [x]" link to the corner of the update notification box so that they can hide it temporarily until they decide to update. But by not notifying the admin of updates, we open them up to potential security vulnerabilities that could (but hopefully won't) arise in later versions.

I also think that #1 may be a little impractical as well. The user would still have to visit the ACP to initiate the update, and I think that nothing should be done without user initiation in general. We should try to make updating as automated and user-friendly as possible while not becoming obtrusive, especially since updating would disable the board. It wouldn't be good to have the board all of a sudden disable itself with no warning for the staff.

EDIT:
Vinny wrote:+1, I think the same as wordpress update, simple and easy.
Something similar would be nice, I agree.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

With #4 I can see what your saying, one suggestion could be a sub-option saying "Still show if update includes security patches".

I can see what your saying, but if phpBB itself is doing the update and there are no MOD clashes (if so it wouldn't do it anyway) then there is no time having to load the pages and for the user to go onto the next step. Theoretically (I have no evidence to back this up, just some guestimation) that it shouldn't be down for more than 3 or so minutes for a maintenance update and shouldn't cause too much disruption unless its a very large board and the admin can always change the setting.

Another small note, I would propose the default option selected would be #2 (Download but don't install).

tct

Post by tct »

+1
I'm Vietnamese so I'm not good in speaking English!!!

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Automatic updates can only happen if release packages are cryptographically signed and phpBB is able to verify the signature. This is currently not the case.

Mess

Post by Mess »

I would also like to see automated updating. That would also mean smaller updates could be released. :)
Last edited by Mess on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.