- Ideas for phpBB 3.2 -

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Re: - Ideas for phpBB 3.2 -

Post by Vinny »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
CaroLPunk wrote:2) Add the BBcodes of alignment (Left, Right, Center and Justify) by default
2.1) Add the BBcodes Subscript and superscript by default
2.2) Add the BBcodes Strikethrough by default
At which advantage? Adding them is less than 5 minutes work with the custom BBCodes.
I agree.
These BBcodes not very important in the development of message, I'm very comfortable with the standards.

Sierron

Post by Sierron »

CaroLPunk wrote: 2) Add the BBcodes of alignment (Left, ... )...
Why would a BBcode for left align be any useful if the text is left in normal state? xD

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Sierron wrote:Why would a BBcode for left align be any useful if the text is left in normal state? xD
For the same reason as it exists for CSS: to give an inner element a left alignment again, while his outer element has already a non-left alignment. ;)

I'd like to see a more consequent implementation:
  1. Use <ins> instead of <u>. The first has a semantic meaning and browsers naturally give them an underline, while the latter is deprecated.
  2. Use <del> instead of a possible <s> or <strike>. The first has a semantic meaning and browsers naturally give them a strike-through, while the latter is deprecated.
  3. Rethink of using <div> for all generic tasks instead of <span> to avoid invalid HTML. Consider the following:

Code: Select all

[size=200][list]
    [*]one
    [*]two
    [/list][/size]
    which nowadays gets rendered to:

<span style="font-size: 200%; line-height: 116%;"><ul>
      <li>one</li>
      <li>two</li>
    </ul></span>
    However, a <ul> is not allowed in a <span>. A safe approach would be to render this instead for font sizes (and everything else which is generic):

<div style="font-size: 200%; line-height: 116%; display: inline;">...</div>
    Ideally even <strong> should become <div style="font-weight: bold; display: inline;">, because then we have block elements everywhere, which can also be nested in every combination without violating HTML rules. Yes I know, it produces more payload.
  4. Make the list item ([ * ]) have an optional parameter, like
  5. [/b] which would render to <li value="{NUMBER}"> and so give the possibility to force a new iteration value instead of the one counted automatically.

6. Same goes for (
    • [/b]) itself: let it have an optional second parameter, like
      • [/b] which would render to <ol type="{IDENTIFIER}" start="{NUMBER}"> and so give the possibility to defining a starting value.

• Include a [img={URL}]{TEXT}[/img] code, which gives you the possibility to define your own description for the alt attribute.

• [/b] should also allow the type none and all CSS2 types: lower-greek, hebrew, decimal-leading-zero, cjk-ideographic, hiragana, katakana, hiragana-iroha and katakana-iroha. (Improvement ticket)

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Sierron wrote:Why would a BBcode for left align be any useful if the text is left in normal state? xD
That is true for English and a lot of other languages. But for some other languages, like Arabic, text is right-aligned. ;)

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

@amigojack

I agree with some of which you have pointed out and this is actually in the works for the theme update im working on here: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=35613

<u> currently is not used its a span with underline applied through styles

strike is not a default bbcode

as for the spans for altering the font size and color i agree they should be divs

however making everything divs is not a smart approach since everything would thus have to rendered as a div since the user can apply bbcodes in any manner they wish you could end up with something like

<ins>
<ul>
<li>one</li>
<li>two</li>
</ul>
</ins>
this would get extremely intensive with divs and thats not a good thing, we can only accommodate users to a certain point when it comes to semantics with the post editor.

As for the lists there is an value for what type you can do
  1. for number or
    1. for lowercase alpha etc... this currently applies it in a rediculous manner but in the update im working on applies the correct style to the ul.

the alt tag is a good idea i think it could be usefull especially for blind users
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

DrAcid

Post by DrAcid »

Please implement GNU gettext l10n engine... It will make translation process much better and easier not to mention that the community will be able to participate much better, as it will be possible to setup online translation site with Pootle...

Please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=33840
I know, it's an old thread, but it has the right idea!

CaroLPunk

Post by CaroLPunk »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
CaroLPunk wrote:2) Add the BBcodes of alignment (Left, Right, Center and Justify) by default
2.1) Add the BBcodes Subscript and superscript by default
2.2) Add the BBcodes Strikethrough by default
At which advantage? Adding them is less than 5 minutes work with the custom BBCodes.
Sorry for the delay in responding.

It is very easy to put these BBCodes, but many do not customize this bulletin board. Therefore, the greater the resources offered by default better.

@edit
What is the difference for the project using the GNU GPLv2 and not v3? Basically, the two say the same thing: "freedom to use, edit, without taking credit of authorship", right?

Sierron

Post by Sierron »

hanakin wrote:however making everything divs is not a smart approach since everything would thus have to rendered as a div since the user can apply bbcodes in any manner they wish you could end up with something like
I never use it myself, but <p> exists too. And you wouldn't need to use div's.

nekkidblogger

Post by nekkidblogger »

Allow HTML in posts for admins, both when writing and editing.

As admin I can change the phpBB files on my server, but I can't insert a div, add a class to an image or style my posts to make them look prettier. I would like to add classes to images, for instance, so that small images can be floated left or right with the text flowing nicely on their side, while I want large images to be centered. And so on and so forth. A little html can do a lot to prettify.

Not to be able to use it is frustrating. Many posts could look much, much better - and looks matter.

Not very satisfying. It's actually a bit 1990-ish.

Ger

Post by Ger »

nekkidblogger wrote:Not very satisfying. It's actually a bit 1990-ish.
I hope you do realize that in 1990 there weren't real Internet forums (webbased Internet forums first started in mid nineties) and there wasn't even BBcode yet? (BBcode originated in 1998). So your talking pretty nonsense here.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.