Lightbox or similar

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Creaky

Lightbox or similar

Post by Creaky »

As jQuery is going to be included as default could lightbox or similar also be included? This is already present in the customisation database so shouldn't be difficult to include.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Lightbox or similar

Post by DavidIQ »

Include it for doing what?

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

I guess for compiling a JS gallery of all picture attachments and/or all [img] embedded pictures of a post, so when you click on one of the (thumbnailed) pictures, you get a nasty animation effect plus prior/next buttons to browse all the pictures (instead of one oldschool mouse click to have the original picture just open alone in the browser). While I don't like this I can imagine a lot of people would like this.

I did this for Highslide once.

Sierron

Post by Sierron »

Isn't that in the wrong section? I thought 3.1 is already feature closed.
AmigoJack wrote:I guess for compiling a JS gallery of all picture attachments and/or all [img] embedded pictures of a post, so when you click on one of the (thumbnailed) pictures, you get a nasty animation effect plus prior/next buttons to browse all the pictures (instead of one oldschool mouse click to have the original picture just open alone in the browser). While I don't like this I can imagine a lot of people would like this.I did this for Highslide once.
And that should be the way you add such things. It "can" be useful for the one or another user but there are quite some problems with it.

Which image gallery should be used?
- Where are quite a few. As an example I don't like Lightbox, but I do like Highslide.

Is the gallery browser independent?
- The one works better in this browser and the other one works better in that browser. Adding more than one would be overkill.

What about the license stuff?
- As an example: Highslide is free, if you use it for a private homepage. Commercial sites need a license.

Creaky

Post by Creaky »

DavidIQ wrote:Include it for doing what?
For displaying images. Clicking on a thumbnail of an image attachment at the moment takes you away from the site, I would prefer to stay on the site and have the image displayed in lightbox or something similar. The customisation database uses lightbox to display screen shots of MOD's.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Creaky wrote:For displaying images. Clicking on a thumbnail of an image attachment at the moment takes you away from the site, I would prefer to stay on the site and have the image displayed in lightbox or something similar. The customisation database uses lightbox to display screen shots of MOD's.
Including something like ReIMG image resizer has been a topic of discussion in the past though no conclusive decision was ever made.

Creaky

Post by Creaky »

DavidIQ wrote:
Creaky wrote:For displaying images. Clicking on a thumbnail of an image attachment at the moment takes you away from the site, I would prefer to stay on the site and have the image displayed in lightbox or something similar. The customisation database uses lightbox to display screen shots of MOD's.
Including something like ReIMG image resizer has been a topic of discussion in the past though no conclusive decision was ever made.
I've used that in the past and it works well, would be nice if that could be included.