xenforo, new forum software, great source for ideas

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
3Di

Re: xenforo, new forum software, great source for ideas

Post by 3Di »

GravityDK wrote:
3Di wrote:at the first glance, I think you are envolved somehow into that project and as an old moderator here..
I don't think a personal attack is helpful or necessary.

The reason I highlight the user interface features of xenforo is because they make that forum system popular.
Threads appeared on Invision Power Board's customer forums, for example, with many of their users saying "I love that 'like' feature" or another common one "the 'alerts' are really neat, and addictive!".

Strategy.
If phpBB is going to be squarely targettted at being the highest-security forum software, then naturally some usability features would not be implemented.

If phpBB wants to be a modern, appealing and addictive forum system from the user's perspective (ie. not from the developer or webmaster perspective), then some of the clever UI tweaks in xenforo should be considered as default features for the next generation of phpBB.
I am not attacking in any way but writing down constructive criticisms. FOA.

Last but not least, a part of all the rest you posted and I above quoted: at the moment I can say I do not want to discuss and make further speeches about a project it is not really free, I mean Open-source or the like.

Thx.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Meow

Post by Meow »

phpBB is not simple, not fully-featured, not beautiful, not modern, etc.. What is phpBB?

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Meow wrote:phpBB is not simple, not fully-featured, not beautiful, not modern, etc.. What is phpBB?
it's free?
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Meow

Post by Meow »

Free, so what? There are many free forum softwares.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Meow wrote:Free, so what?
This topic is about Xenforo, which is NOT free that's what.
Meow wrote:There are many free forum softwares.
OK I'll bite...name a "fully-featured, beautiful, and modern" FREE forum software. (this would be strictly your opinion of course)

Meow

Post by Meow »

Thus, is there anything special to phpBB?

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

That doesn't answer anything I said and I refuse to read between the lines of some vague sentence. If you're not going to participate in a "healthy" discussion about this then I suggest you skip over this topic. Thanks.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

GravityDK wrote:Strategy.
If phpBB is going to be squarely targettted at being the highest-security forum software, then naturally some usability features would not be implemented.

If phpBB wants to be a modern, appealing and addictive forum system from the user's perspective (ie. not from the developer or webmaster perspective), then some of the clever UI tweaks in xenforo should be considered as default features for the next generation of phpBB.
TBH I want a highest-security forum software instead of a beautiful nice and shiny forum where I have to worry if everything is secure and my server doesn't run a potential risk..

TBH you talk about UI.. but so far I fail to find a demo board, a clear picture or video about User controle panels etc.. So you speak of clever UI tweaks, but it's kinda hard to find them....
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Darksminky

Post by Darksminky »

what do we have over everyone else you ask?
I'd say we have these things:
Prosilver style derivatives look great, simple yet sophisticated
Cpanel Autoinstall, only SMF can say the same, and I find their setup annoying and confusing
an AMAZING community
versatility
MODs, conversions, all free and open source
the program is free.
the ACP is very easy to understand and get a grip on
we have a teddy bear as a mascot. win.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I agree that a lot of what is in XenForo is also in phpBB. But I just tried the demo, and I do like how their ACP is set up. It's much easier to navigate (in my opinion) than the phpBB one is, at least for a new user (not as much for an experienced user).

I also like the login dropdown thingy, but of course, that can be easily created with some jquery.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.