Sub-Sub-Sub forums and Categories like CH for phpbb2

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
3Di

Sub-Sub-Sub forums and Categories like CH for phpbb2

Post by 3Di »

Well, at the present there is not a discussion about that. For those whom don't know 'CH for phpBB2' I would suggest them to do a rapid search with google against phpbb.com.

Having just sub-forums isn't enought IMO, please consider that and discuss.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Phil

Re: Sub-Sub-Sub forums and Categories like CH for phpbb2

Post by Phil »

You can create a subforum hierarchy as deep as you'd like -- there's even a test sub-sub-forum here on Area51.
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

The only thing I'm not too happy about is:

Assume forum structure Forum A -> Subforum B
If user has view permisions for subforum B but not forum A, then the only way they can access it is via a direct link

This does make permissions abit more of a hassle, the only issue is showing that a forum exists but the breadcrumbs identify this anyway. Allowing forums "to the left" view only and no threads or posts or buttons could be good. Any comments?

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Phil wrote:You can create a subforum hierarchy as deep as you'd like -- there's even a test sub-sub-forum here on Area51.
I think you should try 'CH for phpBB2' out and get used to it before.. let me know if you want a direct link where to download the latest version. It is a little bit more complicated and wonderful than you think, my guess. ;)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I don't understand what you're trying to suggest. What is allowed in Categories Hierarchy that is not available in 3.0's category system?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

imkingdavid wrote:I don't understand what you're trying to suggest. What is allowed in Categories Hierarchy that is not available in 3.0's category system?
This:
Nelsaidi wrote:The only thing I'm not too happy about is:

Assume forum structure Forum A -> Subforum B
If user has view permisions for subforum B but not forum A, then the only way they can access it is via a direct link

This does make permissions abit more of a hassle, the only issue is showing that a forum exists but the breadcrumbs identify this anyway. Allowing forums "to the left" view only and no threads or posts or buttons could be good. Any comments?