[RFC] Default image resizing

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Ger

Re: [RFC] Default image resizing

Post by Ger »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
GravityDK wrote:As related issue, if implementing jQuery is accepted, then we could also use a jQuery lightbox to display attached images.
Please, anything but a lightbox. Although I would consider this a templating/styling issue :)
As I said, lightbox is just eyecandy to me. It doesn't hurt to implement it, but imho it should be a choice for either the UCP or the ACP.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Alien_Time

[RFC] Lightbox for Image Attachments in Posts

Post by Alien_Time »

Since 3.1 comes with jquery, I would love it if its also bundled with a lightbox plug-in to open the images attached in posts. Atm I use the ReIMG mod which is good. But I think it will be perfect if this feature is inbuilt into phpbb core itself so there is no need to install a separate ReIMG mod, highslide mod, etc.. Is this something you may consider adding to the core?

nextgen

Re: [RFC] Lightbox for Image Attachments in Posts

Post by nextgen »

*Imagine a signature super spectacular.*

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Highslide is better, for me, but I do think something similar to the ReImage MOD would be a good thing in the core.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Highslide JS license was not compatible with ours, which is why I didn't include it with ReIMG (although there is an option to download it). It also looks like Lightbox 2 license is the same as Highslide JS now. With the current 3.1 licensing this can probably be revisited and different modal displays allowed through the extensions system with a default provided.

I've merged Alien_Time's new topic with the old topic since they cover the same feature/RFC.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Yes, I remember downloading and installing HS separately for that awesome MOD but I like HS better so it was worth it. If the HS files can't be *included* as a default, I'd be willing to install it separately again, as long as it's a supported option.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

How about using imagemagick for server side resizing and creating thumbnail pics? If that is possible, it will be good if we can enable imagemagick from Acp and then adding the absolute path to this convert command so the resizing works. Of course this involves requirement of installing imagemagick in your server. I am using it for mediawiki site and it works well. Then having a lightbox option when these images are clicked so it opens the bigger image inside the lightbox will be a good way I think. What do you guys think?

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

There's two separate methods for displaying images that would need to be looked at however:
  1. Inline display of images using img BBCode
  2. Displaying of uploaded images
ImageMagick would not be used for the first method since those images are not stored locally. Plus the option to resize attached images already exists.

wintstar

Post by wintstar »

Imagemagick is not installed on each server and thus could lead to problems for most.
Greeting Stephan :-)

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

ah makesense. I didint even think about the inline images using img bbcode. :) So yeah I guess imagemagick will not be that useful in this case. So is ReIMG might be included in core? Highslide is good but like you said the license will be an issue that will prevent it from being included in core. Also commercial websites needs to purchase it too I think. But your ReIMG mod does the job and I feel its good enough to be added to the core. There are also other lightbox plugin available such as NIVO LIghtbox that is an open source released under MIT license. What license is compatible with phpbb?