[RFC|Accepted] Updated BBcode engine

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] Updated BBcode engine

Post by TerraFrost »

naderman wrote:Hey Jim, can you please rename your branch to the proper feature/bbcode (or whatever you want to call the feature). Make sure there is a ticket for this on the tracker and then please use git rebase to edit your commit messages to conform with http://wiki.phpbb.com/display/DEV/Git. Thanks.

It seems you have not backported any of the tests. It's important that our new BBCode parser be well tested, so please add unit tests.
I've renamed the branch:

http://github.com/terrafrost/phpbb3/tree/feature/bbcode

Still need to figure out how to rebase, although I think I may have complicated matters by accidentally committing to the develop branch...
EXreaction wrote:Can't we move most of the bbcodes to custom bbcodes?

There could be an option on the bbcode table to use the output from a bbcode.html file so you can set each style independently, but it's probably rather moot as long as we use classes that allow the standard bbcodes to be modified from the CSS easily enough.
What about the PHP functions? The url BBcode has, as of the latest commit, url_tag(), url_children() and url_check(). Maybe we could do create_function() but should we be running PHP code stored in the database? Should admins be able to enter, via the ACP, data that'll be executed as PHP code?

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

TerraFrost wrote:Maybe we could do create_function() but should we be running PHP code stored in the database? Should admins be able to enter, via the ACP, data that'll be executed as PHP code?
No we definately don't want to do that.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Looking at http://github.com/terrafrost/phpbb3/com ... 992b910caf ... why do you change

Code: Select all

'replace' => '',
to

'replace' => ''
?

It should really be the other way around. See viewtopic.php?p=209826#p209826 for the reason.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

We should probably create a script which can take a posts table and run the old and new bbcode parsers over all posts and identify differences in the result. This should allow us to spot issues with the new parser before it goes live more easily.

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

I've committed some more updates. A tentative idea I have for the ACP interface is this: people can add whatever attributes they see fit (close, replace, replace_func, etc). If they do something like replace_func they'll be presented with a dropdown menu where they can select from the currently defined replace_func's. I don't imagine most custom BBcodes will require a replacement function or would want to reuse an existing one but it does maybe provide a way for us to store the BBcode's that use them in the DB, none-the-less.

One problem with this: the quote BBcode. Right now it has two replacement strings depending on if the username is present or not. I'm looking into integrating the BBcode parser with the template engine so that those two strings can instead be replaced with one replacement string - this:

<!-- IF USERNAME --><blockquote><div><cite>{USERNAME} {L_WROTE}:</cite><!-- ELSE --><blockquote class="uncited"><div><!-- ENDIF -->
Still working on that atm. This would also resolve an open phpBB 3.1 ticket:

http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/ascraeus/44185

igorw

Post by igorw »

That would be truly awesome.

Would replace_func's provide a way for MODs to define a preg_replace_callback and then hook into the bbcode engine?

APTX

Re: [RFC|Accepted] Updated BBcode engine

Post by APTX »

No, all the *_func's are there to provide a way to use logic or outside data while handling a BBCode. You cannot change the BBCode syntax.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Ger

Post by Ger »

Could you make it possible to use PHP in BBcodes, maybe through hooks?
In the custom BBcode manager of IPB3.0 you can point to a file that handles the custom BBcode. That comes in handy when you have the need of server sided handling. On a forum I contribute to we use it for stuff like LaTeX, sponsored links to books, DVD's, etc, permission based BBcodes and much more. On another forum of which I'm the owner and that runs on phpBB I'd like to use that too. Using phpBB 3.0 I made changes to the core files (bbcode.php and message_parser.php) and I'd rather do this through a hook.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

APTX

Post by APTX »

This is already possible with *_func's.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

igorw

Post by igorw »

I created a ticket for this: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-9795