WYSIWYG editor

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
igorw

WYSIWYG editor

Post by igorw »

One thing phpBB 3.x needs IMO is a WYSIWYG editor. There have been lots and lots of discussions about it in the past. There an RFC for phpBB 4.x about this as well.

The WYSIWYG editor that convinced me the most so far was CKEditor. There have been discussions about integration a while ago. From what I can tell CKEditor is pluggable.

Somebody -- anybody -- who is good at javascript... it would be awesome if you could give it a go.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by DavidIQ »

I've been thinking of taking a crack at this. The biggest problem I suppose would be the correct handling of BBCodes but I guess that could be dealt with.

/me puts it on TODO list.

idiotnesia

Post by idiotnesia »

I agree that phpBB 3.x should add an option to use wysiwyg editor or rich text editor. It also needs to support custom bbcode.
idiotnesia wuz here

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

Hello every body...
My english is not very good & its funny. but...

i have something about CKeditor
its the phpbb version 3.0.1 with ckeditor.. this package is working good and i dont see any error or...
but the phpbb version & ckeditor in this package are old.. may be this package help the phpbb development to use ckeditor for phpbb 3.1.0

download this pack:
http://www.meis2m.com/upload/uploads/phpBB3.rar

one other thing...
the almsamim editor is good too.. there is some bug in almsamim , i think the MOD team can fix it...
almsamim is lighter than the ckeditor..
0.0.9 the almsamim
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2075455

thank U.
Last edited by Meis2M on Fri May 21, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ameeck

Post by ameeck »

One thing we should definitely keep in mind before packaging such a thing is it's size. I must say that overblown WYSWIG editors which double the download bundle size are very annoying.
Please think before you post.

Stoker

Post by Stoker »

ameeck wrote:One thing we should definitely keep in mind before packaging such a thing is it's size. I must say that overblown WYSWIG editors which double the download bundle size are very annoying.
+1
If its going to be a switch on/off thing its fine with me.

Looking at post at my own boards and phpbb.com, there is not much posts that uses bbcodes except the code bbcode at phpbb.com
There probably are a bunch administrators that would like to use this because it is flashy.
I dont believe it is user friendly.

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

Woah - a WYSIWYG editor is not user friendly - is that what you just said?

Its actually user friendly, much easier to use than the standard editor.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

WYSIWYG editor is the very very user friendly and its simple...
with this editor... copy & paste is so simple...

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Nelsaidi wrote:Woah - a WYSIWYG editor is not user friendly - is that what you just said?

Its actually user friendly, much easier to use than the standard editor.
And Visual Studio is more user friendly than vim. (waiting for one of the TekX people looking over my shoulder to slap me)

This isn't a point which is simply true or false - it is a matter of opinion and user experience.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Stoker

Post by Stoker »

You can really beautyfi your posts with a WYSIWYG editor. My point is that nobody really uses it.
In most boards the users will have no idea how to use the WYSIWYG editor. It will only confuse them.

I dont think that a WYSIWYG editor ever will be implemented in phpBB and I honestly believe it would be a mistake to do it.