[RFC|Rejected] Removal of subsilver2

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
imkingdavid

Re: subsilver2

Post by imkingdavid »

And of course any template can be adapted to 3.1 after the fact, so even if it's not supported by the phpBB team officially, someone is bound to update it and release it.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Well I think it is decided then. I will remove subsilver2 from the develop branch.

Alpha Trion

Post by Alpha Trion »

My opinion is this:

Users need a clean style, easy to modify and have the look of subsilver (you know with the category header, category footer)!

I know this from first hand as whatever skin i design i follow the template of subsilver2 and people just love it!

I have design x-silver based on prosilver but with the classic look of subsilver2. This is the combination that people love! Including me offcourse!

I think prosilver should be redesigned a little. There are many things inside it that don't work well or it is very difficult to change.

For example if someone try to modify the posting template faces a whole board distruction because there are 4 ( i think) files that being used for the posting template of NEW TOPIC - POST REPLY - NEW PM - SHOW DRAFTS.

You change something and works ok in NEW TOPIC posting template but it ruins the COMPOSE PM posting template.

That was just an example! We need to make it more simple. One file for drafts, one for PM's, one for New Topic - Post Reply. Generally we need to make it simpler to modify.

Excuse me if i judge things but i really want to help in every way i can and i am fully support phpbb community. Trust me on this, if we built a subsilver3 (prosilver with a cleaner code with subsilver look) it will be the best skin ever.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

naderman wrote:Well I think it is decided then. I will remove subsilver2 from the develop branch.
Glad to hear it!

pixel

Post by pixel »

Ashley.S. wrote:I think subsilver2 should be dropped and someone should try and turn it into a proSilver based style
there's one in development here : http://www.flash-paradise.net/demo/index.php?style=51

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Wickedlad

Post by Wickedlad »

naderman wrote:My view on subsilver2:
  • It causes extra work during development, that is not helping phpBB's main goal of becoming a better forum software
  • It causes extra work for MOD authors to support two very different templates - many don't even bother support both templates
  • Keeping two very different base templates up to date with MODs is a lot of work for users
So I agree that the best choice would be to get rid of it. We can still look into building a subsilver3 with CSS and some very few template changes with most stuff inherited.
I totally agree with you, especially the second one.

leviatan21

Post by leviatan21 »

If someone want to hear my opinion here it is :

Subsiver2 is newbie user friendly : when I move my phpbb 2x to 3x I hate prosilver, but just because I never use something like that, now after some time and modifications I like it and find subsilver2 awful to use.
Most other people I help, have the same looking :roll:

About those 70.000 statistics, IMO is not useful, it tell you which style have the user when he install a board, mostly install phpbb with the standard style and then, he can add a new one, same for languages ;)

If the style.php can be improved and do the css parse better ( probably using more the template engine ) would be great and the http://www.flash-paradise.net/demo/index.php?style=51 is a good example.

One other issue I found using prosiver style is that sometimes having more than a couple of float, it mostly happens on the index page, where the forum image, descriptions and the rss link can be a mess when it do not load quickly, it is solver by refreshing the page, but is a kinda annoying :roll: .
QA Team Member - I don't support by PM,
Customize forums, install Skins/Mods ! Sendme a PM | Don't forget to visit my other mods
Excuse me for my poor English, I speak Spanish. | Image phpBB en Español

tuananhdnc

Post by tuananhdnc »

Alpha Trion wrote:My opinion is this:

Users need a clean style, easy to modify and have the look of subsilver (you know with the category header, category footer)!

I know this from first hand as whatever skin i design i follow the template of subsilver2 and people just love it!

I have design x-silver based on prosilver but with the classic look of subsilver2. This is the combination that people love! Including me offcourse!

I think prosilver should be redesigned a little. There are many things inside it that don't work well or it is very difficult to change.

For example if someone try to modify the posting template faces a whole board distruction because there are 4 ( i think) files that being used for the posting template of NEW TOPIC - POST REPLY - NEW PM - SHOW DRAFTS.

You change something and works ok in NEW TOPIC posting template but it ruins the COMPOSE PM posting template.

That was just an example! We need to make it more simple. One file for drafts, one for PM's, one for New Topic - Post Reply. Generally we need to make it simpler to modify.

Excuse me if i judge things but i really want to help in every way i can and i am fully support phpbb community. Trust me on this, if we built a subsilver3 (prosilver with a cleaner code with subsilver look) it will be the best skin ever.
I agree with your comments, but Subsilver remake from Prosilver is not a perfect solution.
Many people need one style look like Subsilver with new core, I imagine it will have some feature as:
Tabless layout
Clean and optimize coding
Popular user friendly
Easy customize

FeyFre

Post by FeyFre »

It causes extra work during development, that is not helping phpBB's main goal of becoming a better forum software
So prosilver too. subsilver2 is not main reason of low phpBB development speed, and every member of PHPBB Team knows it perfectly.
naderman wrote:It causes extra work for MOD authors to support two very different templates - many don't even bother support both templates
Not an argument. The same can be said for prosilver! I do not support both templates, I support only one - subsilver2.
subsilver2 is easy for modification and maintain. It is easier to format page using tables than using divs. Tabled layout is more handy for dynamic manipulations.
So when I plan any phpbb modification, subsilver2 will be modified first, then whole modification will be debugged, and only then prosilver will be modified(if and only if prosilver wasn't deleted during board installation - in 90%% of cases in my life). I