Default Editor - BBCode Shortcuts

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Nelsaidi

Default Editor - BBCode Shortcuts

Post by Nelsaidi »

A personal annoyance, but in my opinion applies to many people.

In Microsoft word, for bold - you type CTRL + B, this applies to many software including other forum platforms.

phpBB 3 on the other hand requires SHIFT + ALT + B, i mean, unnecesary imo.

What I'd like to see is CTRL + <SHORTCUT> working for BBCodes, and possibly the abiltiy to assign custom bbcodes to a shortcut?

ameeck

Re: Default Editor - BBCode Shortcuts

Post by ameeck »

ctrl+b pops up bookmarks in most browsers.
Please think before you post.

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

But if your cursor is active on a textbook, why not override it? Ie, unless your typing it goes to bookmarks.

Only purpose I can see is if you want to copy + paste a bookmark into a post, but time saved by shorter shotcuts is better tbh.

And also consistent with out forum software, vBulletin, SMF, etc

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Hijacking of browser key bindings by web pages is incredibly annoying.

Some site decides that / should focus its search box, this makes it impossible to search for anything on the page.

Taking over ctrl-b sound innocuous until someone else decides to automatically focus the text box on page load. Now bookmarks cannot be viewed.

What about ctrl-i? In my browser this opens page info, which is something I actually use.

What about ctrl-u? That's view source, and is something I use frequently and may need to use on any page including posting page.

igorw

Post by igorw »

It's alt on linux firefox and ctrl on os x firefox by default. Both pretty unobtrusive.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

eviL3 wrote:It's alt on linux firefox
alt + shift.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

I'm saying hijack them and use the standard CTRL + <key> most people are used to using since its dominance in other programs - but only hijack WHEN TYPING.

My basis for this argument is the fact it is much more conveniant, its undeniable - test it out.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Nelsaidi wrote:I'm saying hijack them and use the standard CTRL + <key> most people are used to using since its dominance in other programs - but only hijack WHEN TYPING.

My basis for this argument is the fact it is much more conveniant, its undeniable - test it out.
I agree. Not many people are going to opening bookmarks while typing.

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

There are some, but you can click outside and use CTRL + B, or use the bookmarks - people are used to it.

Time saved by CTRL + <SHORTCUT> is more than by making people not do it whilst typing.

Then again, CTRL + <shortcut> is the standard.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

phpBB already supports accelerator keys: with MSIE or FFOX on Windows you can hit ALT+B for clicking the Bold-button. With OPER it's not that easy (SHIFT+ESC, then press the key of choice) unless you use an extension which enables you to do the same with ALT+SHIFT+B. While "accelerator keys" is the Win32 API term, HTML entitles this as "access keys": http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/f ... #h-17.11.2 - see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_key

So I see no reason why to re-invent something which every browser already supports.