[ask] Is it possible to add mods into phpbb core?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
idiotnesia

[ask] Is it possible to add mods into phpbb core?

Post by idiotnesia »

Hi, are there any possibilities to integrate the existed mods into the core of phpbb for phpbb 3.1?
I'm sure there are a lot of good mods out there, perhaps phpbb team can consider it to integrate in the core.
idiotnesia wuz here

igorw

Re: [ask] Is it possible to add mods into phpbb core?

Post by igorw »

If the feature warrants inclusion in 3.1 and the code is good enough, I don't see why a MOD cannot be turned into a patch. But this should not be done blindly, it needs to be evaluated, if the features should go into the core. Do you have any specific MODs in mind?

ephemeraboy

Post by ephemeraboy »

Wau..
too many MODs out there
agree with evil3...
we should consider what MOD to turn into patch...
My Idea, My Mind and My Continuation of The Dreams on
http://www.bonatius.com
An Industrial Engineer from Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB)

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

Yes but only if soemthing was needed and it already exists as a good MOD, no point in reinveting the wheel.

I'm against overbloating phpBB with unneeded things, thats the beauty of MODS - its sometihng some need but others dont, so they install it.

// typo fix
Last edited by Nelsaidi on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Nelsaidi wrote:Yes but only fis oemthing was needed and it already exists as a good MOD, no point in reinveting the wheel.

I'm against overbloating phpBB with unneeded things, thats the beauty of MODS - its sometihng some need but others dont, so they install it.
That's why I like phpBB over vBulletin or IPB (other than the cost)... they have so many core features that I would never need but that take up space and processing power. phpBB is lightweight and almost any more features can be added with MODs.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

Although performance is important, there is much more than just performance - Theres stuff such as updates (more features, more bugs), more cluttered interface to deal with additional features, making the core more complicated for php newbies (the phpBB3 code is bad imo - hard to understand, an expert php developer told me this when they started out with phpBB, - agree; although they got the hang of it in the end, a newer user would take longer).

Also integrating mods may partially limit choices, people will not develope alternatives to a mod because one is integrated by default.

Whilst integrating has its advantage (no re installation after updates), disadvantages outweight the advantages

idiotnesia

Post by idiotnesia »

eviL3 wrote:If the feature warrants inclusion in 3.1 and the code is good enough, I don't see why a MOD cannot be turned into a patch. But this should not be done blindly, it needs to be evaluated, if the features should go into the core. Do you have any specific MODs in mind?
Yes sure it needs to be evaluated first.
Here's some mods I like:
- Auto Groups by A_Jelly_Doughnut

- Quote Remover by Phantom784
This will automatically remove nested quote instead of annoying error message.

- ACP Add User MOD by Highway of Life

-

Code: Select all

enhancements by  TerraFrost
idiotnesia wuz here

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Please start a separate discussion topic for each of those and explain what exactly they do and why you think they should be included.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

idiotnesia wrote:
eviL3 wrote:If the feature warrants inclusion in 3.1 and the code is good enough, I don't see why a MOD cannot be turned into a patch. But this should not be done blindly, it needs to be evaluated, if the features should go into the core. Do you have any specific MODs in mind?
Yes sure it needs to be evaluated first.
Here's some mods I like:
- Auto Groups by A_Jelly_Doughnut

- Quote Remover by Phantom784
This will automatically remove nested quote instead of annoying error message.

- ACP Add User MOD by Highway of Life

-

Code: Select all

enhancements by  TerraFrost[/quote]

Auto Groups - semi-discussed here although has gone a little off-topic (mainly my fault. Sorry): http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=32715

And ACP Add User Topic I just posted here: http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=32769&p=207201#p207201
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.