Attachment Management

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Attachment Management

Post by DavidIQ »

code reader wrote:my sense is that this will not be good for the quality of discussion.
Agree 100% with that.
jwxie wrote:#2 well, when I try to download this, it gives me the exact filename on my local computer
viewtopic.php?p=203301#p203301
So? Would you rather some random name? What benefit does one get out of that? :?

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I suppose he is proposing that you get the option to upload a file with a chosen filename. Much like the way you get to change a file's name when you download it to your local computer. OTOH, I don't think I've ever seen an email client (closest analogy) that allows you to give an attachment a different filename when attaching. I suppose the assumption is that the person who is doing the uploading will already have given the file a name that makes sense to them. When another person downloads, they get the option to rename the file to something that makes sense to them.

bobtheman

Post by bobtheman »

code reader wrote:
bobtheman wrote:....
as others have argued in the past, i would love to see the entire area51 forum taken down and merged with the main support forum. Keeping the forums separate, does just that, keeps everyone separate.
i do not think this is a good idea.

phpbb.com does a good job in support, but less than stellar when discussing development.
one can speculate on the reasons for this (too many fan-boyz? too many people with axe to grind? too much baggage? too many clueless people feeling urges to join the discussion?) whatever is the reason, my sense is that this will not be good for the quality of discussion.

peace.

i agree with your premise, but you would have to agree that the community as a whole needs to be included on the development of phpbb in some fashion.. after all they are the end user. Even users that have no knowledge of coding can help test beta releases, report statistics and bug reports, donate capital, etc etc

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

There's a balance to strike here, and I think this early on in the process, I think it is appropriate to not make the audience too wide. The discussions can be found, which is demonstrated by all of us being here, and that's as open as I think it should be, for the moment.

vendolis

Post by vendolis »

3. Add watermark

Nice idea. would be glad to have that, at least when you have this as an option during upload.
4. Use Gmail attachment's upload method (show the upload bar and stay on the same page - without refreshing the page)
Would be nice to have, or at least some kind of message when the upload fails, because of execution time limit.

[quota]6. Users can keep track of what they have uploaded (a new page in their profile)[/quota]
Is a nice idea to keep the overview.
8. Group / User permission - administrator can set a limit quota or maximum upload size for each group
This is a feature I am really looking for. I have at the moment the problem that I can not give different max upload sizes to different users/groups.