Wave Federation Protocol Integration (API)

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dog Cow

Re: Wave Federation Protocol Integration (API)

Post by Dog Cow »

It's still a Google product, since it was created by Google. However, the main difference is that Goooogle is allowing us mere mortals to run our own implementations of it. However, I do believe that Google will have their own hosted Wave platform as well.

marosell

Post by marosell »

Dog Cow: The wave client "Google Wave" is their product, so yes, of course they have their own server. But GWFP is a completely open protocol, not a product or a service.

But honestly, even if the idea is a little abstract, the tech isn't that new. XMPP has been around for a while, has no one suggested in the past to base phpbb on another protocol rather than developing an entirely new tech? Is it that it's generally not a good idea to do, or is it something thats looked down on, or just something you think the community isn't ready to try / all that interested in?

Supposing there is interest in this area (to say there isn't any would be very wrong), would researching pre-development ideas as a separate product from phpBB4 be something that would fit the community, or would it be looked down upon to be trying a new idea for a different product? Has this been done in the past? Would it be possible to set something up like this?

Different teams have worked on different sub-projects such as the AutoMOD. We could put a team together towards a project under a different code name and discuss/brainstorm ideas in a separate forum. The best outcome being another forum solution to play with and possibly offer one day down the road, the worst possible outcome being a firm understanding of the wave protocol and how to integrate it with more phpbb-similar solutions, possibly to become an official extension to phpbb4 or a chunk of code to add to the code base.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

marosell wrote:Dog Cow: The wave client "Google Wave" is their product, so yes, of course they have their own server. But GWFP is a completely open protocol, not a product or a service.
Yes, I realize that. I read up on Wave several weeks ago already.

Phil

Post by Phil »

To be quite honest I'd rather phpBB focus its energies on phpBB and any development towards a different product such as you described be done by another entity without sapping resources from the main product.
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.

jwxie

Post by jwxie »

Let's stick with the phpBB (somehow we are way over the boundaries already)

Google will continue to host its Wave, of couse. Treat G.W like a website with a bunch of little chat rooms. Each chat room runs by someone outside Google, but they will use Google's resources to retrieve necessary information. Google is trying to build a complex cloud that makes Google the MONOPOLY OF INTERNET.

From phpBB's perspective, I think we should take these open protocols into consideration when we start building phpBB's API (the technical side, how powerful and how implementation is done). At this stage we can't really propose anything about G.W. We have to wait a couple more years.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

I think basing the phpBB software to run waves is not a very good idea. In this implementation you just introduce a new wave server which is merely a categorized collections of waves, extracted from different wave servers.

I think to integrate Google wave within the forum it is better to allow the people who are within the possession of a Google wave account benefit from the functions of the service and let people who, for whatever reason, do not have a wave account still be able to use the forum.

I know that this can also be done using the public waves on which Guests will be able to post, but in this way there is no forum anymore. You just have a market place with waves from servers.

For an integration with this Wave protocol, I think for the phpBB software it is better to allow people with such an account to be able to login to the forum with it(e.g. OpenID). Apart from that extensions/plugins could be introduced which allow for wave servers to abstract data for the waves. For example if you take the Twitter implementation. A bot has been written which will fetch the twitter messages for you and display them within the wave so you can keep track of them within your google wave account. I believe that for Wave implementation a same approach would have to be taken here, rather then creating a framework which groups waves from different servers. I believe that in the latter implementation you will not have a bulletin board/discussion board but just a fancier system of looking public Google waves in which you are interested. I believe that has to be something which you can do within the Wave projects and not for the development of the phpBB software.

Hope that my opinion is a bit clear this way.
DoubleJ - Blah

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

Personally DoubleJ, a forum topic is an exact comparison to a Wave and to 'integrate' with Wave without using the protocols defined kind of defeats the point. I'd much rather just not do it.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

GravityDK

Post by GravityDK »

Wave is being shut down by Google.
I recommend its removed from the Use Cases on Wiki.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

GravityDK wrote:Wave is being shut down by Google.
I recommend its removed from the Use Cases on Wiki.
Wave was just a product built on top of the protocols Google have released, it doesn't need Wave to work. It's quite an interesting idea and there isn't any harm in it being on the wiki.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

marosell

Post by marosell »

Indeed, the magic is in the protocols. I suspect that Wave is being shutdown as a separate product, and the protocol will be integrated in other things in the future.