3.1.x Repository?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Ratmaster

3.1.x Repository?

Post by Ratmaster »

I was going to ask this on the main forums, but I don't think it would be suitable. I don't really know if this counts as asking for support or something, but if I am wrong, please correct me. This is probably a really dumb question.

When I go to the main page for area51, it says that daily snapshots of both 3.0.x and 3.1.x are available in the SVN repository, but when I go to the repository, I can't find anything about 3.1.x.

Are the development files going to be available in the future (if they haven't started them yet) or are they somewhere else in the repository? The way the message is stated brings me to the conclusion that they are already there, but I have been hearing some contradictory statements.

Thanks for any and all help.

EXreaction

Re: 3.1.x Repository?

Post by EXreaction »

Nothing is probably going to be done with that until 3.0.6 is released.

Things are still a bit of a mess with how the old 3.2 design was refereed to as 3.1. Nothing other than the announcement has been done for the public.

Ratmaster

Post by Ratmaster »

Ah, well I guess it was too good to be true, especially this early.
Thanks for the clarification!

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

You need to look in the 'trunk' http://code.phpbb.com/repositories/brow ... runk/phpBB

That's it!

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

That's the old development branch. Once they start the real 3.1.x branch that will basically be tossed.

code reader

Post by code reader »

EXreaction wrote:That's the old development branch. Once they start the real 3.1.x branch that will basically be tossed.
that does not make any sense, and i doubt it is true.
i expect 3.1 to be, at some point, branched off the trunk, but "tossing" the trunk does not make any sense.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

code reader wrote:
EXreaction wrote:That's the old development branch. Once they start the real 3.1.x branch that will basically be tossed.
that does not make any sense, and i doubt it is true.
i expect 3.1 to be, at some point, branched off the trunk, but "tossing" the trunk does not make any sense.
phpBB 3.1.x will be a branch of 3.0.x. as has been said in the announcement.

I guess some code in the current trunk folder will be reused in the 3.x.x branches, other code might even be reused in 4.x.x.

There is no repository or branch for 3.1.x and 4.x.x. at this very moment.

code reader

Post by code reader »

bantu wrote:phpBB 3.1.x will be a branch of 3.0.x. as has been said in the announcement.
apparently i have reading comprehension issues, because after reading the announcement repeatedly i fail to see where does it say that 3.1 will be branched off 3.0.0
looking at the repo i can see now that the last update of the trunk was some two months ago, but until now i expected to see a massive merge of 3.0.0 fixes into the trunk, like we saw in the past.
so, basically, ATM there is no development branch? or does it mean that the development happens in places not visible to the public?
that's somewhat unusual...

regards.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

code reader wrote:
bantu wrote:phpBB 3.1.x will be a branch of 3.0.x. as has been said in the announcement.
apparently i have reading comprehension issues, because after reading the announcement repeatedly i fail to see where does it say that 3.1 will be branched off 3.0.0
# phpBB 3.0.x (current stable branch)
# phpBB 3.1.0 (first feature release of the stable branch; architecture is the same as with 3.0.x)

code reader

Post by code reader »

i actually *did* see this line, but i do not believe that "architecture is the same" is equivalent to "will be branched off of".
this does not mean it won't be, but the announcement did not say that, at least not clearly enough for a layman like me to understand it.

peace.