phpBB development tools / environment

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Re: phpBB development tools / environment

Post by bantu »

A text editor, a (svn) Repository and ... a lot of coffee. :)

igorw

Post by igorw »

bantu wrote:A text editor
Preferably with PHP syntax highlighting. PSPad, or if you have lots of money: zend studio.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Depending on your Operating System (Windows, Linux or Mac), you’d want to grab one of the associated LAMP stack packages:
  • Some well known and popular options that run the latest (or near latest) versions of PHP, Apache and MySQL and are GPL:
  • Windows - WampServer (formerly WAMP5), XAMPP, EasyPHP, JAMP, Glossword WAMP
  • Linux - LAMP, XAMPP, PHPServer
  • Mac - MAMP, MAMP Pro, XAMPP
If you would like, I can link you to several tutorials on getting your phpBB setup going on your localhost.

For editors, you want to get a decent PHP and HTML Editor that supports syntax highlighting.
I recommend an IDE such as:
  • PhpEd
  • ZDE (Zend Studio)
  • Zend Studio for Eclipse
  • PHP Designer
  • PSPad
  • TextMate
  • SubEthaEdit
  • And a host of dozens more
You basically want to find the editor that suits you best, but that supports Syntax Highlighting. Although most PHP IDE's also support some special PHP features such as code completion. I would stay away from WYSIWYG Editors such as Dreamweaver.
Dreamweaver is okay to use for HTML and CSS so long as you remain in Code view only.

For your database interface, your LAMP package usually comes with phpMyAdmin, although I recommend at least taking a look at Navicat.

For Javascript, an editor listed above or Aptana Studio is what I would recommend.

When coding large projects, it’s nice to use an SVN as bantu suggested, it allows you to save code and even if you make a mistake, you’re able to revert back or look at the differences. Not to mention a host of hundreds of other benefits for using an SVN.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

If you've got OS X, you don't need any of that MAMP or XAMPP rubbish-- PHP 5.2.x and Apache 2.2 come pre-installed on both the client and server versions. MySQL does NOT come, so you can download the latest version (currently 5.0.67) in standard OS X Installer format here: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5. ... macosx-dmg

Then I use TextEdit to edit all the files, though one thing TextEdit lacks is line-numbering, but I've been using it since 2006 and haven't gotten a replacement yet!

IMO, OS X is the best development system since you get the power of BSD Unix on a really sweet GUI!

dsavi

Post by dsavi »

Dog Cow wrote:If you've got OS X, you don't need any of that MAMP or XAMPP rubbish-- PHP 5.2.x and Apache 2.2 come pre-installed on both the client and server versions. MySQL does NOT come, so you can download the latest version (currently 5.0.67) in standard OS X Installer format here: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5. ... macosx-dmg
Keep in mind that OS X has Sqlite installed (With PHP).
I find Eclipse PDT to be very good, it's quite big but it works great as an IDE. And then LAMP is also good.

I have a quite strange setup, Vista Home Premium with Ubuntu Studio running in a virtual machine, which acts as a server. Since I don't have the VMware network configuration set up as NAT, the virtual machine has its own local ip address, which allows me to have more than one server without digging around in my .conf files. I also use phpBB to transfer files to and from the Virtual machine, as windows networking setup is annoying. Good old http does it for me.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Dog Cow wrote:If you've got OS X, you don't need any of that MAMP or XAMPP rubbish-- PHP 5.2.x and Apache 2.2 come pre-installed on both the client and server versions. MySQL does NOT come, so you can download the latest version (currently 5.0.67) in standard OS X Installer format here: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5. ... macosx-dmg
Yes, if you’re using Mac OS X 10.5, then you don’t need MAMP/XAMPP. However, having PHP/Apache pre-installed on OSX is not the reason I choose to use MAMP instead of the built-in Apache setup.

KenH

Post by KenH »

Highway of Life wrote: If you would like, I can link you to several tutorials on getting your phpBB setup going on your localhost.
I inquired regarding the tutorial and Highway of Life responded with this link:

http://wiki.phpbb.com/Localhost