Store attachments on different server

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
batfastad

Store attachments on different server

Post by batfastad »

Hi everyone

I'm massively impressed with phpBB3 - especially the integrated attachment system.
That will save me having to install the Attachment Mod every time a new phpBB version is released! Still trying to get to grips with the permissions system before I upgrade my forums.

Although there's one thing I liked about the attachment mod that I can't work out how to do with phpBB 3

The ability specify a different remote FTP server for the storing of attachments. You then told the attachment mod what the URL equivalent of that FTP server was and all your attachments get linked from that remote server.

That was cool because we use separate hosting providers for our static media and our dynamic websites so it would be excellent to see that appear as a built-in option to phpBB 3.
That's something that neither IPB or vBulletin have!

This feature, and RSS are the only things that are stopping me from upgrading my boards to phpBB 3!

Any comments / suggestions?

Thanks, Ben

batfastad

Re: Store attachments on different server

Post by batfastad »

Anyone have any info on whether this will be possible "off the shelf" (ie without any mods) in a future version of phpBB 3?

Thanks, B

Monie

Post by Monie »

If you check in I think includes/functions_transfer.php, you're able to connect to remote servers through ftp with that, you could try that method.

batfastad

Post by batfastad »

Wow that could be it :lol:
If only I could figure out what edits I need to make in there! :(

Has anyone else tried this out yet?

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

batfastad wrote:Wow that could be it :lol:
If only I could figure out what edits I need to make in there! :(

Has anyone else tried this out yet?
Yes, I wrote a MOD for it, its avaible at phpBB.com in the MOD dev forum.

batfastad

Post by batfastad »

Wow that is excellent news!
Definitely going to check that out - it was a crucial feature for me with the attachment mod in phpBB 2.x ;)

Thanks guys