phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Wert

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Wert »

wintermute wrote:Ah, Quick Reply. Let's face it, you do not like it, I do not like it, but it is one of the features most asked for. My opinion is, instead of continously rejecting repeated requests for Quick Reply and explaining it over and over, the developers could just integrate that feature but make it disabled by default.
They've explained many times why that will not happen.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

FisicoUK

Post by FisicoUK »

Tiny MCE (A WYSIWYG Editor), was essentially the final nail in the coffin for PHP NUKE, as it means that basically any site can be hacked using a JS function inside an image function.

I think that the Quick Reply box is just a waste of time. It's 2 extra mouse clicks, and reduces spamming without one. End of story.

Maybe an auto install system, like Joomla!, will be a good idea, but only to certain limits.

Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

I agree to everyone's request that Quick Reply might be the most asked MOD, not just by admins but by users as well. But I personally think it should not be a part of the core system. It takes less than 5 minutes to install one and I think the Quick Reply "feature" would do much better in the hands of Modders because we can have different types of Quick Reply boxes. The same can be said for WYSIWYG editors, things like these are better off as MODs.

One thing I really want to see is something kind of MOD Manager and would definitely want some kind of powerful system (dunno what to call it) but something like Drupal that calls a function called top_headers_links() that creates links for the top menu (FAQs, Members, etc). Some way of reducing the work on editing side if the MOD is added/removed. (I love to explain more if someone is interested :) )

Personally, I would prefer some work on Friends list because at the moment that is something that lacks functionality (I might be wrong, because Modders can use that information to create miracles).

That it from me .. for now ;)

Malphas

Post by Malphas »

The problem with having a quick reply as a MOD is that it's not always compatible with styles. Why does the fact you don't like or want the feature on your board mean you should make life more irritating for the masses of people that do (rhetorical question, not aimed at anyone here)? I don't think the argument about it leading to increased spam, etc. is legitimate anyway; just look at the amount of regular off-topic banter there is on this forum for instance.
Last edited by Malphas on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wintermute

Post by wintermute »

I do not want to linger on that subject more, but I also need to say I agree with Malphas.

Quick reply decreases the quality of content on a board, as it enables the user to get into a "quick fire" mode and fire away quick, small nonsense at an alarming rate, but if that is what a board owner wants I do not think it is right to stop him/her by leaving out that feature.

Anyway, I do not think phpBB management will ever agree to add quick reply. Their decision is set very strongly.
Greetings to everyone...

SamG

Post by SamG »

wintermute wrote:... I do not think it is right to stop him/her by leaving out that feature.
That line of argument could be invoked about any feature a large segment of the community deems important. I'm not sure the nature of open source software in general and phpBB in particular supports the open-ended use of an argument like that. Likely we all have wish lists when it comes to any sort of software, but I think that's especially true of web-based software. In the case of phpBB, at every opening of the request tracker we can lobby for our list. But if the developers are in control of their own project (and is there any reason they shouldn't be?), we're going to have to accept the idea that they can say "no."
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Malphas

Post by Malphas »

SamG wrote:
wintermute wrote:... I do not think it is right to stop him/her by leaving out that feature.
That line of argument could be invoked about any feature a large segment of the community deems important. I'm not sure the nature of open source software in general and phpBB in particular supports the open-ended use of an argument like that. Likely we all have wish lists when it comes to any sort of software, but I think that's especially true of web-based software. In the case of phpBB, at every opening of the request tracker we can lobby for our list. But if the developers are in control of their own project (and is there any reason they shouldn't be?), we're going to have to accept the idea that they can say "no."
Of course, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't have the ability to bring up the subject. Criticism isn't always going to be positive.

SamG

Post by SamG »

Obviously we're not being prevented from bringing the subject up nor from being critics. But, I think, we ought to pick our battles. Discussing how phpBB could be improved is not the same as alleging that the project is being handled improperly. The latter kind of citicism is a much more difficult argument to make than the former, especially when we're talking about something like quick reply, it seems to me.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

lol let stick more to the phpBB 3.2 and less to who should handle what and how (another topic can be started for that). Quick Reply MOD is not going to be part of the core (lets say not for 3.2 for arguments sake_ and move onwards with the discussion about 3.2 :)

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

imo i feel there should be a simplfiied interface for all the permission and stuff...

with phpbb3 i often get lost when trying to set the permissions, especially when there is no indication of the advanced permissions