When is phpbb.com going to be back up?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
karlsemple

Re: When is phpbb.com going to be back up?

Post by karlsemple »

The answer is simple.....don't sit waiting for it to come back up, yes they said Sunday at the latest...but there is many more hours left yet on Sunday. I assume (obviously) that it will return when they have completed the tasks which they set about when they shut things down....however long that takes :)

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Shock24 wrote:Maybe they should put what you just said, eh?... "It will take us as long as it takes us (usually a few hours though)" :lol:.

Cheers

why? they said it will be back Sunday and I am pretty confident they would not say that unless they planned to have it back for today :)

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

March 10, 2007 *cough cough*
/me goes away

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:March 10, 2007 *cough cough*
/me goes away

Not sure what you are on about or what that has to do with server down time to be honest, Have i missed something which is specific to March 10th 2007?

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Well, there was a time, before phpbb.com displayed the brand new phpBB3 with its flashy prosilver style, that a trivial server manteinance that should have taken no more than a couple of hours lasted 8 days... :D
Plus, Friday evening the notice read something like "We'll be back in little time".
Nothing personal, but I wouldn't feel so confident about any scheduled date until I don't actually see it back up. ;)

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:Well, there was a time, before phpbb.com displayed the brand new phpBB3 with its flashy prosilver style, that a trivial server manteinance that should have taken no more than a couple of hours lasted 8 days... :D
Plus, Friday evening the notice read something like "We'll be back in little time".
Nothing personal, but I wouldn't feel so confident about any scheduled date until I don't actually see it back up. ;)

As you well know extra time in that instance was nothing to do with the original server work which was completed on time, they decided to kill two birds with one stone and avoid having two downtimes in the space of a short time...thus they changed the site at the same time. In this case there is nothing else which needs doing and as such the server will be back up when the work is complete which as they said should be today.

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Hellamund wrote:Hehe, I picked one of the worst days to set up my forum. I wanted to use PhpBB2 to set it up since it's more stable. I started setting it up before school, but after school when I was doing finishing touches my board kind of crashed and I needed help, but the website just so happened to be down. :roll: I thought, "Maybe I'll just wait until the site's back up to find the answer to my question.", but of course it never really came back up, so I just decided to uninstall the whole thing and try again with PhpBB3. :D

This site is being used for support currently ;)

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Shock24 wrote:Hmmmm. 9:40 AM... What are you doing phpBB?! :roll:

Cheers

It is actually Sunday 16.44 GMT ;)

Jim_UK

Post by Jim_UK »

What is the problem - get a life!
Unless you are using your discussion board for business purposes and need serious help it really does not matter if phpbb.com is down for a few more hours than expected does it.
A lot of you must let your whole life revolve around the phpbb.com site (I don't think that applies in my case :lol: )
I left the computer for a few hours and rediscovered other things.
I also remembered that my wife had gone to Edinburgh for a few days! (I know I should have known but I don't see much of her since joining the "Team" :D )

All that you really need to know is that it will be back up when they have done the work.

Jim
Please do not PM for Support or to ask me to install boards or mods.
Support problems are best taken care of in the Support forum where everyone can benefit.

SamG

Post by SamG »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:Well, there was a time, before phpbb.com displayed the brand new phpBB3 with its flashy prosilver style, that a trivial server manteinance that should have taken no more than a couple of hours lasted 8 days... :D
C'mon, Nick. I agree with you that it ain't back up till it's back up, no matter what the signs said. Still, I do think they make an attempt to offer us good faith estimates rather than just saying, "It'll be back up when it's back up." We have no idea what might make meeting the estimate difficult (or impossible). The failure of a RAID array that ran us into trouble last time is proof enough of that. It's not a crime if we cut the people involved in trying to get the site restored a little slack. IMHO. :)
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood