okay i have had enough >_<

Wondering why that MOD you have won't install correctly? Let's take a look
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
Mayu

okay i have had enough >_<

Post by Mayu »

okay i am new to all this modding stuff as i generally hate editing forums - its evil and horrid and i dislike it alot. but im the only one i can trust (stupidly enough) to access it and do it.

the forum is here

i have tried installin several mods with easy mod - being told this makes it alot faster and simpler - and to be honest its not working and is annoying me a great deal -_-

Easymod works fine, shows up picks up mods and so on but everything i try to put on the forum gets some kind of error and doesnt work or messes something up.

me being a n00b at it doesn't help because i havn't got a clue what to do ¬_¬; ive lost my admin and mod colours somewhere along the line after a admin mod color changer mod failed to install right, it installed with an error and the fields showed in the edit styles and when i entered any colour value it just errored with ALOT of crap >.>; so i gave up on that one and jsut left my forum with no bloody admin or mod colour at all ¬_¬

at the moment the ONLY thing i ahve working is the news block mod which is meant to go at the top of your forum? well mine arrives to show itself at the left hand side and shoves all my forums over and off their template background and off centre - can i change the stupid things position at all? any ideas on that one concidering i havn't got a damn clue -__-

i have tried looked everywhere for help and i keep getting dead links which is adding to my already bugged mood ¬_¬; i really need some help on all this crap >_<; i hate learning stuff this complicated on my friggin own.

i also would lake a custom title mod THAT WORKS PLEASE D: jesus christ. i did what it told me to do and it said it installed but its done bugger all and its not there or on my mod history ¬_¬; or anything. grrr~

id also like to know a nice easy simple way to delete/remove/uninstall mods i have installed that have failed to install right? if thats even possible - knowing my luck it isnt ¬_¬; anyway yeah...email mail me or something if you think you can help my sanity -_____-

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Re: okay i have had enough >_<

Post by Kevin Clark »

Mayu wrote:id also like to know a nice easy simple way to delete/remove/uninstall mods i have installed that have failed to install right? if thats even possible
EM backs up all the files it's going to edit before it changes them.
They are in the admin/mods/modname/backups folder.

If it messes up you can just re-upload the original files (after removing the .txt suffix).

You can only go back in the reverse order you installed them though as it only backs up the files as they were at that time.

Mayu

Post by Mayu »

Kevin Clark wrote:
Mayu wrote:id also like to know a nice easy simple way to delete/remove/uninstall mods i have installed that have failed to install right? if thats even possible
EM backs up all the files it's going to edit before it changes them.
They are in the admin/mods/modname/backups folder.

If it messes up you can just re-upload the original files (after removing the .txt suffix).

You can only go back in the reverse order you installed them though as it only backs up the files as they were at that time.
i read that else were and i entered the backed up files and they are all empty...so tell me what i do if that occurs? i jsut want my damn admin and mod colour at the bottom back at the moment >.>;

then i will worry about things i wanted to add -__-

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

You can always put brand new files back on to the server to start again from scratch. Just don't overwrite the config.php file and leave off the /contrib and /install folders.

The olympus color groups MOD seems to be very popular so I assume that one works.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=267257

If you want coloured usernames have you thought about phpBB3? It's built in.

Mayu

Post by Mayu »

Kevin Clark wrote:You can always put brand new files back on to the server to start again from scratch. Just don't overwrite the config.php file and leave off the /contrib and /install folders.

The olympus color groups MOD seems to be very popular so I assume that one works.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=267257

If you want coloured usernames have you thought about phpBB3? It's built in.
how do i get phpbb3 when it isnt my server o.o? doesnt my host have to install it/buy it?

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

It's free.
You can get it from phpbb.com.
You would have to install it yourself and then convert your current database (both easy to do with the included instructions).

Mayu

Post by Mayu »

Kevin Clark wrote:It's free.
You can get it from phpbb.com.
You would have to install it yourself and then convert your current database (both easy to do with the included instructions).
alright i will try that...it won't kill all my forums and stuff or anything will it >.>?

the mods i have in there wont effect it or anything? >.>?

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

It reads the database and converts it. It doesn't actually edit or change the existing database so your phpBB2 install will be completely unaffected.

Your existing MODs shouldn't affect it either.

Mayu

Post by Mayu »

Kevin Clark wrote:It reads the database and converts it. It doesn't actually edit or change the existing database so your phpBB2 install will be completely unaffected.

Your existing MODs shouldn't affect it either.

thank you very much for all your help - maybe with phpbb3 and some sleep (finally XD) i might be able to install a mod right O_O? does PHPBB3 have better layouts o.O? do you think maybe part of my issue is because of my current style/layout is a bit..crap? x_x

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

You're using phpBB3 right now. You can decide for yourself if it has a better layout :)

MODs are great but they don't always fit all styles perfectly. You often have to shoehorn some of the edits in. Also, if a MOD is several versions old then the code it's after may not still exist in that form and you'll have to work out where it belongs.

This is why you should always back up the files before you make changes.

Also, many people use an offline install to try MODs out on before they use them live. By installing something like easyphp or XAMPP you can do all the editing in your own time on a safe installation on your PC then simply upload the edited files when you're happy it works (remembering to add any SQL queries to the real database too).