"Seach Ignore Words" valid for MySQL search engine?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Post Reply
wintermute
Registered User
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:58 pm
Location: Istanbul

"Seach Ignore Words" valid for MySQL search engine?

Post by wintermute »

Hello everone,

Do the file "search_ignore_words.php" and it's contents are used if we use the MySQL engine as board search engine?

Also, is it normal that one a board with about 250000 posts, deleting native indexes and enabling MySQL search engine indexes ups the database size about 150MB? I was expecting MySQL Fulltext engine to use little space for indexes?

With no indexes, database is about 170 MB
After creating index for MySQL Native, database is about 330 MB

Many thanks,
Greetings to everyone...
User avatar
Nicholas the Italian
Registered User
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:19 pm
Location: 46°8' N, 12°13' E
Contact:

Re: "Seach Ignore Words" valid for MySQL search engine?

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

wintermute wrote:With no indexes, database is about 170 MB
After creating index for MySQL Native, database is about 330 MB
Not really surprising, as practically all words in posts need to be duplicated in other tables and accociated with the post they're in.
Fulltext-mysql should take less space than fulltext-native, but you can't reduce such informations to take less space than what they phisically are. Not sure whether MySQL uses some kind of compression.
code reader
Registered User
Posts: 653
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:01 pm

Re: "Seach Ignore Words" valid for MySQL search engine?

Post by code reader »

wintermute wrote:Do the file "search_ignore_words.php" and it's contents are used if we use the MySQL engine as board search engine?
this file is not used with fulltext_mysql.
it isn't used with fulltext_native, either.
imo, it should have been removed from the code, together with some more deadwood, eg., the "synonym" thingy.

wintermute wrote:Also, is it normal that one a board with about 250000 posts, deleting native indexes and enabling MySQL search engine indexes ups the database size about 150MB? I was expecting MySQL Fulltext engine to use little space for indexes?

With no indexes, database is about 170 MB
After creating index for MySQL Native, database is about 330 MB
it is unfortunate that phpbb's implementation of the fulltext_mysql uses twice as much index space as it really should.
(read viewtopic.php?p=187578#p187578 )
i can post a "mod" that fixes this, but i don't want to wrap it as a real mod, when i believe it's a bug and should be fixed in the core code.
unfortunately, the developer (naderman) doesn't seem to share my view... :(
spacemarc
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: "Seach Ignore Words" valid for MySQL search engine?

Post by spacemarc »

code reader wrote:this file is not used with fulltext_mysql.
it isn't used with fulltext_native, either.
imo, it should have been removed from the code, together with some more deadwood, eg., the "synonym" thingy.
i'm using a search_ignore_words.php with a lot of words.
If this file isn't used, in that way discards phpBB3 the common words before inserting the post in the db?
PHP and MySQL free scripts: www.spacemarc.it
Post Reply