AJAX, JS phpbb .... AJAXbb

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
q250

AJAX, JS phpbb .... AJAXbb

Post by q250 »

Hello,
I have big phpbb and performance probles. Ofcors all can be handled by little hacks to not optimal queries and server upgrade. But when we dont have cash... little hacks are not enought.

What about rewriting all we can in phpbb to AJAX and JS? As we all know client side scripts save server overload and AJAX is faster than normal page reload php job.

So why dont change in vannila phpbb (or add official addon with this) everything that can be rewritten to ajax/js. Forum will be faster and easier to navigate.

karlsemple

Re: AJAX, JS phpbb .... AJAXbb

Post by karlsemple »

Ajax uses more system resources than a standard page load as it has to constantly communicate with the server to keep whatever data it is being used to show updated. Hence it is likely to add to your performance issues. This is the main reason that Ajax is not used :)

q250

Re: AJAX, JS phpbb .... AJAXbb

Post by q250 »

Constantly refreshing? ;) For example... get user count with expire 30 minutes. So on index.php we dont get user count at every refresh but only once... and if user is back in 30 minutes then he get this data refreshed...

<%
response.expires=-1
response.write(time)
%>

Note: The Expires property sets how long (in minutes) a page will be cached on a browser before it expires. If a user returns to the same page before it expires, the cached version is displayed. Response.Expires=-1 indicates that the page will never be cached.

(remember, cached data on user computer is a lot better than on server, coz server HDD and PROC is not used then)

PS
Am I wrong that phpbb is coded by one person almost? In 90% coding goes to Acyd Burn... i was thinking it is job by xxx people ;] and not X people...