Doubt in DEBUG_EXTRA and mysqli

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Ash Hi Fi Zone

Doubt in DEBUG_EXTRA and mysqli

Post by Ash Hi Fi Zone »

I defined DEBUG and DEBUG_EXTRA from config.php and it shows the Debug stats at the bottom as expected.... On my own local server on my PC it displays the Memory Usage also when DEBUG_EXTRA is defined but on my host it does not display it.....

Is it because my host runs an old version of php ??

Also my host does not seem to support mysqli..... Is there any advantage of using mysqli over mysql ??

jojobarjo32

Re: Doubt in DEBUG_EXTRA and mysqli

Post by jojobarjo32 »

The memory usage is displayed only if the information is available. Your host has probably disabled the function memory_get_usage()

mysqli is less old than the "normal" mysql extension and supports more features (such prepared queries, an object oriented style besides the procedural one, etc.). But phpBB runs as well with the mysql extension as with the mysqli one ;)

Ash Hi Fi Zone

Post by Ash Hi Fi Zone »

So will I get faster page generation times and SQL query times if I had been using mysqli extension ?

jojobarjo32

Post by jojobarjo32 »

MySQL site wrote: What is the difference between the mysql and mysqli extensions for PHP?

The mysql extension does not support the full functionality of MySQL versions greater than 4.1.0, such as Stored Procedures, Triggers, Views, Precision Math and much more. In order to use all functions of the latest MySQL Server Releases you have to use the mysqli extension that is available as of PHP 5.0.

The main features of the mysqli extension are:
  • access to all MySQL 4.1/5.0 features
  • a procedural interface that is similar to the mysql extensions
  • an object-oriented interface that is easier to extend than the procedural interface
So no, you won't get faster generation times ;) (note that phpBB's DBAL doesn't use the object-oriented interface of mysqli)