Bug is less,

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
DooBDee

Re: Bug is less,

Post by DooBDee »

"The number of tickets per day have increased recently, if you haven't noticed"
My arguments are perfectly valid. And the bug tracker proves it and I am sure many people would agree.

I think you are completely misunderstanding what I am getting at here. Whilst it is appreciated that bugs are being reported - and it is appreciated that the developers are fixing it - I just feel (and I would expect along with many others) that the general focus of the reports are wrong, especially at RC1 level. Dont get me wrong, the developers and testers are doing a brilliant job with Olympus its just I feel things need to be a little more "focused" so to speak making sure that Olympus performs its programmed task.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

DooBDee wrote: Some bugs are irralevent to a Release Candidate - sure they are acceptable for going gold, but I just dont think some bugs qualify for being reported at beta stage.
Which is why the tag 'Review Later' exists. If the developers think a bug is not critical enough to fix for a RC release, then they can tag it as such, and release it at a later date. You shouldn't be discouraging people from making small bug reports which would otherwise go unnoticed because *you* don't think they are appropriate at this time. That's for the developers to decide and deal with.

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

DooBDee,

That argument is not relevant, based on that the dev. team already has informed, that the bugs are geting sorted now. It´s better to have them recorded as tickets in the bug tracker than registered locally at the testers.

DooBDee

Post by DooBDee »

Lets put this discussion aside, because there will always be to sides to it. However, I will say that surely testers should focus on Olympus' programmed code making sure it performs and functions correctly - as it was programmed. Focusing on other smaller things could lead to a larger more important bug and even possible a security issue being missed. i would rather that be reported than a stack load of small language grammar errors.

Anyway - here's to a release candidate! :o :D

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Just because they aren't reporting larger bugs doesn't mean they aren't looking for them, it just means they aren't finding them.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

interlog

Post by interlog »

So what is a bug then?
A software bug is an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program that prevents it from behaving as intended (e.g., producing an incorrect result).
Perhaps the reporting of spelling mistakes and the likes should be reported through another means so that the real "bugs" get the priority they deserve.

Remember that it must be easier for a developer to have a list of "real" bugs rather than have to trawl through a list of "errors" that might or might not be some serious flaw in the software.

Mark :D

balding_ape

Post by balding_ape »

DooBDee wrote:
"The number of tickets per day have increased recently, if you haven't noticed"
My arguments are perfectly valid. And the bug tracker proves it and I am sure many people would agree.

I think you are completely misunderstanding what I am getting at here. Whilst it is appreciated that bugs are being reported - and it is appreciated that the developers are fixing it - I just feel (and I would expect along with many others) that the general focus of the reports are wrong, especially at RC1 level. Dont get me wrong, the developers and testers are doing a brilliant job with Olympus its just I feel things need to be a little more "focused" so to speak making sure that Olympus performs its programmed task.
It should be up to the development team to decide which bugs to fix before RC1, and not us. We report all bugs (a typo is a bug, unless you think the design document specifies "typo here"?), and the dev team makes their decision accordingly.

madtay

Post by madtay »

The dev team will surely decide when the time is right and bug reports coming in for typos and other such things will surely have no impact at all on the release of RC1.

Based on the latest bugs remaining as new in the bug tracker and being unassigned or tagged as review later.. it now seems unlikely to me (at least) that there will be a release today. :)

interlog

Post by interlog »

The dev team will surely decide when the time is right and bug reports coming in for typos and other such things will surely have no impact at all on the release of RC1.
Perhaps not, but can you imagine this situation:

Developer is just about to finish off the RC. Just before doing that, is going to have a last look at the bug-tracker to make sure there isn't something that might have been discovered since last checking.

All the developer finds in the bug-tracker is "typos" and such like that have absolutely no relevance on whether the software works as intended. The finds still need to be investigated and stops the developer releasing the software.

All these "typos" are distracting the developer in actually developing the software.

Not saying that these typos shouldn't be reported - perhaps they should be reported elsewhere in a seperate section of the bug tracker.

Mark :D

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

Update of /cvsroot/phpbb/phpBB2/install/schemas
In directory sc8-pr-cvs1.sourceforge.net:/tmp/cvs-serv23176/schemas

Modified Files:
schema_data.sql
Log Message:
dumdidum

Index: schema_data.sql
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/phpbb/phpBB2/install/schemas/schema_data.sql,v
retrieving revision 1.237
retrieving revision 1.238
diff -C2 -d -r1.237 -r1.238
*** schema_data.sql 19 May 2007 23:32:13 -0000 1.237
--- schema_data.sql 20 May 2007 14:59:17 -0000 1.238
*** 205,209 ****
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('upload_icons_path', 'images/upload_icons');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('upload_path', 'files');
! INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('version', '3.0.B6-dev');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('warnings_expire_days', '90');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('warnings_gc', '14400');
--- 205,209 ----
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('upload_icons_path', 'images/upload_icons');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('upload_path', 'files');
! INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('version', '3.0.RC1');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('warnings_expire_days', '90');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('warnings_gc', '14400');
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."